Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, Happy Thanksgiving!

I picked up a '91 Polaris Indy 500 with 3300 miles...all in all, does not seem to be too bad a sled for my girlfriend...she is just getting into the sport. This is the first Polaris for me..been riding 20 years or so. Not familar with them at all...

Noticed today there was a puddle of gear lube on the chain case side..I suspect a leaky chaincase. Basically rode if off the trailer and into the garage (no snow yet).

Here are my questions:

- I would guess the leak is the case/gasket, not a bearing since it leaked while sitting?
- I am not seeing the case it's self..how do I get to it? Pictures would be great!
- Is this a common problem?
- Where/what else can I check?

Thanks,

Burch

·
Registered
741 Posts
My 91 indy 500's chaincase also leaked. It was the rubber seal between the chaincase cover and chaincase itself. Where is your leak coming from?

·
Registered
85 Posts
its common for those older indys to leak at the chain case cover.the oil will seep around the seal. we use a thin bead of silicone around the bottom side of the chain case on the back side of the gasket. however ive also seen them leak on the back side of the case because of a failed seal. polaris sled have an actual seal on the back side not an o-ring in the bearing like the other manufactures. thats were i would start. sorry i dont have pictures. ill get some tomarrow when im at the shop

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
9 times out of 10 its the rubber seal for the cover that leaks. If you are not familiar do yourself a favour and find a manual it's worth the cash. Changing the seal is easy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replys...how much lube do I put in when I finaly get the leak resolved..

Yes, a manual will be bought!

Burch

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yup, replace the chaincase gasket (put the split to the top and dab a little sealant on the seam). To fill, pull out the rubber plug, #49 and fill there. When the oil comes out of the screw hole #50, it's full. The gaskets new are usually under $10.00.

20101125222816444_24996.gif.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replys. The diagram helps a ton! I looked at it again today, and it is clear now...

Burch

·
Registered
591 Posts
my gasket was 8.79 at a polaris dealership, the pre 98 indys did not have bearing seals, just a sealed bearing. 75w90 or atf is what most people use in there chaincase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts