Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the better part of yesterday getting my girlfriends '91 Indy 500 squared away....we get a little snow and I decide to take it for a quick ride...the the darn recoil rope breaks...

So how difficult is this to repair?? I'd tackle it myself if I'm not gonna end up with a face full of springs or something![beatup]

Thanks,

Burch

·
Registered
509 Posts
There not that bad id say the Hardest part is getting the recoil spring recoilded hope you have two sets of hands a couple vise grips handy! (Those recoils are kinda sharp be aware)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It's a pain to get the spring rewound and put in the housing, I've been there and finally had my cousin come and help me. He did it in like less than five minutes, really pissed me off cause I was working the better part of an hour and couldn't get halfway there. Go to a shop and pay the $, it's easier and faster.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey "Madcow" had a great method.
Remove the housiing and clamp it to a bench...Do not remove the bolt that holds it all together...unwind and remove the old rope...now wined up the spring 3-4 full turns and feed the rope in and knot it up then as it winds back up it pulls in the rope. If more tension is needed put rope in to the round cut out on the disk and add another rap or 2.
very easy...Just harder to explain it...lol...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I should have taken a picture of mine I just had it off, if the spring didn't unwind on you you shouldn't have to take it all apart, me being the dumbass I am did, you should just be able to cut the knots holding the old rope in and pull it out.
Then, I hope I'm not repeating anything, melt the end of the new rope and feed it through the hole where you will knot the rope to hold it in the plastic spool, then once it has started to feed through that hole, spin the recoil so that the rope will point towards the exit hole of the housing, get a small hook, or something that will catch the new rope and pull it through the hole in the housing, then knot the end on the spool and pull it all through, there should be a notch on the plastic spool where you can then feed more rope into the spool by simply lining it up with the housing hole, you don't want to wind it up too much or the spring will pop out of where it is supposed to be and then you'll have to take it apart which is a HUGE PITA. [confused]

This is probably the most confusing post ever, but if you have the recoil in front of you while you read this it should make sense.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the recoil off and brought it to the local shop...cost me $13 bucks and they did it while I waited...bolted it back on and all is good...

Thanks,

Burch

·
Registered
323 Posts
Burch said:
I took the recoil off and brought it to the local shop...cost me $13 bucks and they did it while I waited...bolted it back on and all is good...

Thanks,

Burch
Good deal!.. 13 bucks is nothing for the swearing it saves lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glenwood Polaris/Arctic Cat in Glenwood (Dowagiac) Michigan helped me out on this one. Great shop to deal with if ya get the chance!!

Burch

·
Registered
17 Posts
Burch said:
Spent the better part of yesterday getting my girlfriends '91 Indy 500 squared away....we get a little snow and I decide to take it for a quick ride...the the darn recoil rope breaks...

So how difficult is this to repair?? I'd tackle it myself if I'm not gonna end up with a face full of springs or something![beatup]

Thanks,

Burch
same thing happened to me last night while tearing my arm off trying to get my girlfriends 91 Indy 500 to start, cut out knot on handle, tore off housing and CDI, lifted out guts and what you said is what happens, coil whadded up on me, this happened to be before with my chainsaw but that was easier to coil up. Get three screws and up screw gun, make a triangle on your work bench and coil it up inside the screws with some pliers. it will get tight so once you cant coil it anymore tie it off with some string take it to the inside of your housing and jimmy it in there, make sure its going the right direction. Cut string while pressing down on as many points of the coil as possible to prevent it flinging out and into your eye. Don't forget to lube up under the disk where you tighten the screw down, its rubs there and will weaken the recoil if you dont have some axle grease or something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts