Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres the story...

I had a guy offer to give me his snowmobile(a '91 indy sport 440) if I'd store his bike in my garage/shop for the winter, it has a blown engine but I agreed anyway thinking if nothing else maybe some of the parts would swap over on my XLT and I could just part out the rest

thinking it was probably junk I went to pick it up and sure enough there it sat in the corner of his garage with the hood up buried in junk and covered in dirt and dust with a box of parts sitting there...

but I got it home and cleaned it up and surprisingly its in VERY good shape, he had the track up but the skies were sitting on the ground and are rotted, and it has a tear in the seam of the seat cover, and it needs an engine, but other than that its really a nice sled, I dug through the parts box and everything is there for it except the plug for the oil tank, and as far as I could see the track looks excellent

so... I think I'm going to keep it and fix it, if nothing else it should make a nice sled for my kids to rip around on... the problem is I really have no idea what parts from various sleds would swap out or what a fair price for the parts I need would be, I've owned sleds and know how they work and how to fix them but thats about the extent of my snowmobile knowledge, I'm a motorcycle nut, and a very good motorcycle/atv mechanic but I've never really gotten heavy enough into snowmobiles to know whats what in that world...

so I have a couple questions...

before I even start looking what would a fair price for a bare engine be so I know if I'm getting screwed or not, and what other years of fan cooled 440's would work?

what would be a fair price for a set of skies? I would imagine indy skies were probably pretty universal but if not what years/models would fit my '91?

I'm going to go over everything well and make sure everything is functioning good(fuel pump, oil pump, jetting...) but is there any inherent problems with this sled I should be aware of? I ask because a rod blew in this one and took the crank and both cases with it, I know of the crank problems with the XLT tripples but is that something of a problem with this engine too? I'd just as soon go over it and fix everything now while I'm doing it instead of waiting for it to break...

I'm really in no big hurry until after chrismas, but I'd like to start lining up some parts now so when the time comes I dont have to mess around looking

thanks for any help, and if anyone has any additional comments/suggestions feel free...

DJ

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cool, ya can't beat a free sled... I just got a free Sport myself, though it's an '87 and only a 340. The engine's good, only 2000 miles but the rest has been beat on. How many miles on yours?

Skis from just about any Gen 1 Indy should work... but then I've got no business coaching anyone on this stuff! [:D] I've been going on to denniskirk.com to look up parts, they have a pretty nice system there that shows you what sleds a given part will fit.

I do have the '91 Polaris catalog if you need any info outta that...

Good luck!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just about ANY Polaris ski should bolt on with no problems. Congrats on a free sled! A good motor should be around $200-400 give or take. I know that a triple goes $600-800+ so they should be cheaper...good luck and post some pics if you can!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Indy chassis was pretty much all the same, you can use any Indy skis on that sled without any problems, check eBay, you can usually pick 'em up around $100. Also, any Indy fan motor should fit, should be a very easy swap, the only thing you should need to do is adjust the clutch (bring it to a dealership, they have a gauge for it). The Indy fan was a very strong motor, I have seen them take a lot of abuse and come out shining. Expect to pay around $300 ~ $500 for one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts