Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently aquired a 1991 indy Sport GT for next to nothing since it needed some work. Anyhow I've rebuilt the carbs, and clutches, new plugs, filters etc. The thing is running like a top. One thing I'm concerned about is the Chaincase (if it even has one). There is no dipstick or opening to fill the area where it wouild be. The sled does have reverse. Is there some fluid I should be changing out here??? A Chain to check the tencion of???

Another problem is that the machine keeps on burning out the headlight bulb. I've gone thru 2 of them and iit seems after about 10 minutes it burns out. I was thinking Voltage regulator but the dash light for the Spedometer isn't blowing. ANy Ideas???

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
on the chaincase you need to take the cover off to change the fluid and check the tension. There should be a little bolt an inch or two above the bottom on the cover and you remove that when filling to get the proper level. The fill is a rubber plug towards the top.

I'd say voltage regulator

·
Registered
275 Posts
A trick to get the right tension on the chain is to loosen the jamnut and tighten the adjuster as much as possible by hand, then tighten the jamnut back up. You will be within the proper specs for chain tension.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I took a better look at it today and it has 3 plug. One for fill, one for drain, and a magnetiic plug about 2 inches abouve the drain which I figure must be the full mark for the oil.

I also replaced the Voltage regulator to see if it fixes the headlight problem. I was delighted at how easy it was to get at to change..... Right in a wide open easy to get to spot. I had herd horror stories about changing them with the location nearly impossible to get at without pulling the engine.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Just finger tighten the bolt for the tensioner and back off a 1/4 turn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts