Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 xcr 600, bored .040 over, I waned to know if it would be better to break in my engine with plain 91 octane gas or with 110 octane aviation gas from the dealer shop. I also wanted to know if high octane gas is more dry in the engine than normal gas or does it just burn alot faster and clean?
thanks guys!

·
Registered
777 Posts
pump gas, with a 40.1 pre mix will do just fine

·
Registered
89 Posts
The most highly recommended gas for 2 strokes around here is Premium Non-Oxy. I am not sure if Canada has the same formula for unleaded as MN though. We have a high content of Ethanol in our gas, in fact one of the highest in the US. However, we can get the Non-Oxy gas at many stations around MN. Here is a link for the MN people to find Non-Oxy stations:

http://www.msra.com/NonOxygenatedFuel/Non-OxyFuel.htm

You may be able to check you local Hot Rodders websites for similar lists.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
high octane gas is only for higher compression engines, i dont see why you would need it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Actually high octane gas burns slower than lower octane. You are just throwing your money away if your using it and you don't need to. Youll know you need to if your getting detonation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
But high octane burns longer giving more a little more power. I get a few more miles to a tank on my sleds using prem fuel. But like it was said. Unless you have milled heads use what you want on the break in.

·
Registered
553 Posts
snowjimmy- thanks for the post. I wish the list included my city in MN but no luck. Im within 40 miles thou. I did not know that this was sold here. Thanks Again- TXC

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I've seen studies saying that you should burn 87 octane or higher in a lawnmower, but that's pusing it, high octane in my ZRT, and the outboard motor, enything else is 87 octane.

·
Registered
777 Posts
LONGER,SLOWER, actually they burn at the the same rate; higher oct fuel will not ignite as easily as 87 oct,high oct will resist pre igignition better then low oct octane and you can run higher compression without detonationation.high octane will give less power if your motor is desisigned for 87 oct

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by Xc Special
[br]pump gas, with a 40.1 pre mix will do just fine
I agree with Xc Special. I had that same sled and this is all i did to break it in.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Originally posted by JetBoy
[br]But high octane burns longer giving more a little more power.
Only if your timing is adjusted for this higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There seems to be an awful lot of confusion regarding octane ratings on this sight and what the difference is between 87, 91 or 110.
Try this link http://www.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm.
It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of how an internal combustion engine operates.
Hopefully this can shed some light on the subject.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
That link is broken for me,
But here is a good explanation from a guy that I trust knows what he is talking about.
http://www.2strokeheads.com/Compression%20and%20octane.html
Hope this helps clear things up for those of you who were wondering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts