Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding all day today and around 7 i took a break to finally eat. Spent around 45 minutes just eating and relaxing. Then i went back out to ride and around an hour after i went back out my snowmobile stalled out.
I tried to start it back up, and it would turn over but it just didn't sound right at all, it sounded like sumthing was hitting the fan???? Not to sure.
I ahev no clue what is wrong with the thing and i'm hoping it may be just a piston ring and nothing more.
Any ideas of what could have happened????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was riding kinda easy, probably no more than 40. Before that i was ridingno more than 60. So not very hard i would say.
When it stalled out it jsut shut off just like it would if i hit the kill switch.

It turns over but it sounds like there is resistance from the pistons.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i've had that happen before with a real old kawi, it shut down just like that, what happened was the mag side piston came apart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i took it apart last night and found absolutly nothing wrong at all with the pistons, rings, or cylynder walls.
I was in a hurry and forgot to check compression before i did it all though. And it sounds like it is getting no compression, so if that is the problem them what do i do.

Also when i would turn it over by hand it would befine but every 1 out of 3 or 4 times it woul get hard to turn always in the same spot. I thought the crank, but then again i just replaced the crank????

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey

Find the spot that it makes "the noise" and go back and forth with the primary clutch and listen and try to feel where it is. I'm a auto mechanic and i do stuff like this all the time, it's sorta a learned technique but nothin too hard. But ya is sounds like a bad bearing if the pistons r ok, or if u have one what does your fan belt look like,i had noise like that but wasn't sure and wasn't stoppin, right before it broke and i melted my pistons!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i put it back together last night and check compression and sure enough the compression was good in both cylinders.

Then once i got the starter back on i started pulling it and it pulled fine the first 5 or 6 times then it seized up really bad, but when i went to turn the clutch by hand it turned very easily, so i think that could possible rule out the crank bearing problem.
I'm going to take the flywheel off tonight and check that out along with the stator.
I'm just concerned about it seizing up since it does it when i try to start it???

·
Registered
366 Posts
my brothers 91 cougar did that. THhe stator assembly came unbolted and ripped it self apart. Maybe thats what happened to you?

Rich

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Try pulling it over a few times buy the clutch.it could be something as simple as your rewind jaming on something,i know its unlikely but possable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure enough with "Significant Snow accumilations" on the way, and with my luck. I took off the flywheel and stator assembly and nothing was wrong with any of that at all. But then i looked closer into the crank case and on one side it was spotless except for a small puddle of oil at the bottom, the other side though had oil splattered all over. So i took a rag and rubbed it across the bottom of the crank case and looked at it and sure enough, metal shavings!!!!!!!!!!!
At that point i was so pissed off i just put my tools away and quit working on it. Decided to just bring it to a mechanic and let them do the crank work and i will do the rest.
Sucks when:
There is more snow on the way.
I need to sell mine to get my new one which i love.
Somebody wanted to come look at it on sunday.
Pretty much already sold.
And i have no time to work on it nor any money to pay anybody to work on it.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, i'm confused here.
I got tired of working on my seld so i took it to a dealer.
Mechanic says he can't find anything wrong with the crank and with nothing else.
But there was still little metal shavings in the bottome of the case. I have no clue at all what could be wrong now????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts