Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, this one is stumping me here. Bought a 91 Polaris Indy 650 that was used an abused, was a RXL but harness was hacked up bad so I converted it to carbs (did this to a few RXL sleds with no problems). Here is what it does:: Fires up with one pull, idles perfect, very responsive up to clutch engagement (4500 rpm) takes off good for the most part. Now if I stop to do a straight away pass an gun it it will hit 5000 rpm an bog bad, kinda a fluttering sound I heard also, all the way till 6000 rpm after that it takes off hard skies in the air just like it should. Noticed that after the pass or a run I can let off watch the tach drop down to 5000 again while still moving, hit it an she stands right back up so its only from a dead stop. Only thing with this one is I ran out of original 91-92 650 Carb boots so I used the TXL 340 boot (several people said they did this with no problems) they specs out the exact same as the original 650 boots other then it is about 1/2 inch longer. Also I changed both clutches with known good ones off another 650 an same result. One other thing I know they call for free play on the rear (driven) clutch which I noticed this one for some reason has none, outer bolt bushing sets into the clutch an bolt tightens down on outer clutch face. I know I have to fix that with the shims but question is would that cause the bog due to it being tight an not allowed to float which makes sense as after I am moving coming down from a run it doesn't have the bog an the clutch would already have been in or still cycling through. Or has anyone had an issue with the TXL boots. I have completely rebuilt the engine, piston/rings/seals/gaskets ect, carbs were gone through extensively. Any help, Thanks Chad

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yep....get that secondary fixed. I chased severe bogging on my old RXL and it turned out to be secondary clutching issue. Mine was poochy spring, but yours could be freeplay and needing shims. Make sure it is clean and free moving, helix ramps not gouged, bushings good as well as buttons. Fresh spring also makes a world of difference.
Cheers...Jake

1 - 2 of 2 Posts