Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 RXL. The EFI module is shot and i am in depesperate need of help. I am looking at converting to carbs. I need the exact steps written down so i can do this. First of all has anyone done this?? I have heard it was possible. I have 38 mm carbs all ready to go. I have also heard that there maybe timing problems since the efi controls the timing as well. Anyone who can help me please do. MY email address is [email protected] Use that.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I would have to say no one has ever done it. I can't say for certain but I would bet money on it. Since EFIs usually are more expensive it makes no sense to do it except in a situation like yours. Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
The RXl's are very easy to convert to carbs. All you need is the carbs and the 38 mm carb adaptor boots. The EFI throttle bodies were 40 mm on these so new boots are needed. The ingnition is controled by a serpate CDI box and it will work just fine without the fuel injection parts. You will also need new throttle cable and a choke cable and fuel pump. The case has to have an impulse fitting put into it for the fuel pump but even so it is not a very difficult conversion.
Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Will be interesting to see. Do most EFIs have the same engine characteristics as Carbed? I mean same porting and all. Obviouslly not the same fuel system.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric,

Can you describe to me what you are talking about with the case (what case) and the impulse thin in the fuel pump. I have the carbs and can get the boots easily. So all i need is a new fuel pump.. What kind if any..

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
You need a fuel pump with three outlets. All the polaris triples had the same pump up to the ultra. so either your dealer could get you one or order one from a catalog.
The engine crankcase needs a fitting to plug a 1/4 inch line into, there should be a spot on the case were a hole has to be drilled and the fitting pushed into.
again your dealer should be able to help you.
This impulse line is what runs the fuel pump. The positive pulses from the crankcase make the diaphram in the pump work and pump the fuel to your carbs.
See if you can find a 650 or an XLT to look at. Either one use the same system.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
149 Posts
Erick pretty much gave you the whole story. If you want more details ask RXLMAN. He's on this forum from time to time and he has a RXL that he converted.

I need spellcheck!

91 RXL/SKS 650
91 Exciter II 570

Edited by - snorider35 on 04 Feb 2002 15:17:39

1 - 7 of 7 Posts