Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RXL always starts in 2 pulls but... i let it run until its warmed up and shut it off i cant get it started again. First i dont have much gas in it but it starts when cold but not warm.

I started it last week and let it run for a couple minutes and shut it off then went to start it again and it fires but wont start all the way back up. When i pull, it fires but dies then i can hear the EFI shoot a little gas in like its a cold start after every pull. So i tried it again tonight and it started in 2 pulls i let it run and reved it up for about 10-15 minutes shut it off and same thing wouldnt start.

I have not owned my RXL for a winter yet, so im guessing i havent figured out the trick to it yet since all other sleds ive owned had a little trick to them. Friday im going to fill up the gas and try again. I just dont want to start it up drive to the ice shack and when i want to come home she wont start, so i thought i should figure it out now. any tips would be great!

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Hold the throttle to the bar and see what you get. This will disengage the ECU and not allow the injectors to fire. We'll see if it's a flooding problem.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
same thing today, would not start once it got warmed up. i tried holding the throttle to the bar and pulled a couple times and it didnt do anything. i checked the ecu light to see if it was blinking any codes and it wasent. what should i do now?

·
Registered
713 Posts
check if there is a draw on the battery. There could be something wrong with the wiring that is allowing the battery to get drawn on.

Just a thought, check the plugs to see if they are loading up, happend to mine, turns out it's running in a safe mode, air temp sensor missing.

It sounds like that cause when I had the issue the relays would click, but or it just wouldn't start, after a little while it started no problem.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 92rxl,
today i checked the air temp sensor and the dam thing was barely even on lol. it was almost hanging out of the air box with only 1 screw holding it. so i screwed it back on with 2 new screws. I thought that must have been it... well it did help.

Now i start it cold in 2 pulls, let it warm up. If i shut it off with the killswitch and wait a minute and it starts right back up. But if i shut it off with the key wait a minute and go to start it, it starts but it doesent want to idle. first time i shut it off with the key, I pulled it, it started but was slowing dieing. so i pumped the gas a little and then it was idling fine. i shut it off with the key again, this time i started it and didnt touch the gas and it died, and then i couldnt get it to start again.

Im guessing that for the EFI to idle it must have to be at 2000 rpm. cause when i start it after i shut the key off it will run to just below 2000 and start dieing but if i rev it a bit over 2000 then it will idle. Is it just a RXL thing that im not used to?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Did you check all of your connection on the switch? There could be a loose wire on the connector causing it to miss fire. Also, check on your throttle block, right where the throttle goes back down if you were to take it complete off of the gass, there is a tiny switch there. It's called the idle contol switch and tell the computer that the throttle is in the idel position and to run in a low fuel mode.

It could be that when you go to start it sometime you don't notice that the throttle is either all the way back or just a little and not triggering the switch. I would bet that's your prob right there. Took me a while to figure out but now that I know it's there I remember to check if the switch is closed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does the machines have strong spark? Pull the plugs out with them attached to the wires and turn the machine over to see if it has a strong spark. This same thing happened on an XLT I owned, it started but then would die. It turned out that the magneto was dirty and was creating weak current flow. Just an idea. Good luck.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found out what the problem was since my last post.
-new ignition
-replaced fuel pump (used one, new to much $$$)
-motor rebuild (one piston was f'd)
Good news is i we have snow, so i went for a ride monday after work and shes running like a top!
I cant wait for this weekend.
[attachment=49414]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts