Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of mods and upgrades are there out there for a sled like this? Anything I can do to pull some more horsepower out of the engine, or clutch it differently to make it faster? I want to be able to keep up with my dads AC ZRT 600. Not necessarily beat it (which I feel isn't possible) I just want to be able to keep up. Oe thing I would really like to do is adapt a more modern, longer travel suspension. Is there any way I can adapt a modern suspension to the sled with some fabrication and such? Or is that an entirely bogus idea? You can tell I'm new with snowmobiles and such, but the tinkering thing isn't. I learn really quick.

BTW, 'nother quick question. I'm looking at the HJC CX-X2 helmet, is this a good helmet? I know it's a motox helmet, not a snowmobile helmet, but I don't like the visor and full face design, it restricts my vision more than I'm comfortable with. I'm prepared to get a good balaclava to keep the wind off, and I've already got some goggles that I can use for now.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hmm...what I wouldn't have given back in the day to have an Exciter 570!! ANYWAY, I wouldn't say the Exciter is down for the count, but it does have age against it. I'd say, certainly look at a pipe, and studs for the track. Don't forget new skags...carbides, to keep you going where you want to go. Beyond that, depending on the ol' pocket-book, you could investigate porting and changing the gearing. Just remember about gearing, what you give to your sled at the bottom, you take from the top. There are other alternatives (milled heads, bored carbs, NOx) but that is probably going too far, considering you'd have to run high-octane (110+) gas for that. Either way, just enjoy. When I was your age I had an '87 Yamaha Inviter 293!!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have owned 3 exciters over the years and still have one in the garage now. Like rotax rage said, A pipe will help alot. I have a PSI on mine and they "claim" 10-12 hp....If nothing else, it really wakes it up in the mid range and I do beleive it adds some up top...But the power gets kinda peaky. I would deffinatly drop a tooth on the top gear, I am 1 down on top and 2 up on bottom, it leaves the sled with about a 75-80 mph topend, but gets their in a real hurry. also with piping they will reccomend clutching, depending on the pipe you go with, I only had to buy a new primary spring (raise engagaement) and set up the seconday differently. Now when you have it set up like this, you are going to get horrible gas milage, and probably take some life off the motor, make sure the seld has good compression before doing this(motors tight, and up to the challange). Front struts, I think their isn't much we can do their, But keep checking. I have heard of people mounting the new yamaha rear skid in them, but I have not, nor do I have any plans to. Buy a back brace[:D], I have a soft spot for the old yami's, alot of people will tell you not to waste your time on it....Up to you. I still like them and even though the are dated...Ok, old. they can be a blast to ride...If you can get 85-90hp out of a sled that weighs very little...you can certainly have fun on that. take care 3ft

·
Registered
660 Posts
Also, i forgot...The aftermarket pipes drop alot of weight off the front of the seld, the Exciters had alot of ski lift stock, when you pipe it, clutch, gear, and stud, get ready for a wild ride. leaving corners you have to ride it like a dirt bike....(with less suspesion). I hardly ever have both skis planted on the ground...so Too me the fun factor is up their, but you have to ride aliitle harder to keep up to you buddies 2002, and the next mornings are kinda tough too.[:D]

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by 3ft
[br]I have owned 3 exciters over the years and still have one in the garage now. Like rotax rage said, A pipe will help alot. I have a PSI on mine and they "claim" 10-12 hp....If nothing else, it really wakes it up in the mid range and I do beleive it adds some up top...But the power gets kinda peaky. I would deffinatly drop a tooth on the top gear, I am 1 down on top and 2 up on bottom, it leaves the sled with about a 75-80 mph topend, but gets their in a real hurry. also with piping they will reccomend clutching, depending on the pipe you go with, I only had to buy a new primary spring (raise engagaement) and set up the seconday differently. Now when you have it set up like this, you are going to get horrible gas milage, and probably take some life off the motor, make sure the seld has good compression before doing this(motors tight, and up to the challange). Front struts, I think their isn't much we can do their, But keep checking. I have heard of people mounting the new yamaha rear skid in them, but I have not, nor do I have any plans to. Buy a back brace[:D], I have a soft spot for the old yami's, alot of people will tell you not to waste your time on it....Up to you. I still like them and even though the are dated...Ok, old. they can be a blast to ride...If you can get 85-90hp out of a sled that weighs very little...you can certainly have fun on that. take care 3ft
Thanks for the help. Since I'm still very new to the sport ('ve ridden most my life on a limited basis, but I'm just getting into the performance aspect), where can I find a good pipe/pipes for it, what shoiuld I look for? I already plan to get a 192 piece 1" stud kit for it. I've got a feeling the carbiides are about gone on this sled, so I'll probably need to change them in the future. I'd really like to try to put the front suspension from a newer sled on it because the one thats on there is pretty much travel-less from age.

As for the engine, we just had all the seals and gaskets replaced, and I think the compression checked out very good. It's still got plenty of pick-up, expecially considering it's 13 years old. I do have to make a new hood for it since I cracked the stock on last year when I rolled it (helmet fogged up, couldn't see where I was going). I'm pretty good with fiberglassing, and I can get heat deflective material pretty cheap.

I'm on a somewhat limited bidget, so anywhere I can get decent stuff used would be great.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
i know i would have to do alot more to my exciter to keep up with my zrt only because i have alot done to my zrt

·
Registered
798 Posts
you won't beat it like you said...because it is a pretty fast triple but..i think that with all them studs,and a good set of pipes..you will stay close!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well, aalen (is that right) and psi both make pipes for it...I have not found anyone now that has new ones in stock and I had to buy a used one($80) and sweet talk the guys at PSI to give me that paper work for the pipe...That in cluded jetting and clutching. (as you geussed, I have a PSI on mine-wifes)check ebay. looks like I will be riding it this winter as plans for a new one fell through. I have a hood I will sell you cheap. I also have side pannals if you need, their so,so...$60+shipping(for all,if you want) otherwise I'll keep it for a spare. I ran 10 inch woodys carbides on my last one and it darted all over, thats after I put the shim kit in the front end. On this one I am going to go with 6 inch and see if it alittle more forgiving. Like I said with the ski lift you will get by dropping some weight(pipe) and adding gears and go fast parts its best to just have it pointed the direction you want before hammering the throttle. If the sled has a lot of miles on it look at replacing(or atleat adjusting) the brakes, they are old style, cable pull(non-hydrolic) and as they wear you'd be surprized at how much you have to squeeze to lock the track up....This helps a ton, keep them in adjustment. also the last Exciter I had, I put a 108exp comet clutch on it, much better then stock...I sold the sled with clutch, kicking myself for that now. I will help you as much as I can. This year being that this seld will probably be my only seld to ride I am going to really experiment with it and get it to as much as I can..As I find out stuff, I will try to let you know. Or PM. me and we can chat. If you have questions, I will give you my phone # in a PM and we can talk. I don't mind chattin About sleds at all. Take care 3ft

·
Registered
660 Posts
I think that 192 studs is over kill for this sled... I would do 96-144 and save alttle money (144 is plenty) Put that cash towards a gear setup. and just keep looking on ebay or call around to places for a pipe. I found mine at "mom and pops banged up selds are us" shop...not to mention the power you will gain by replacing worn clutch parts and idler wheels (rear skid in genral) I know that its not as much fun to replace the stock parts...But when everything is working well, the sled will be faster..don't over look the samll stuff

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
96 studs should be enough. I have a DG pipe on mine and it has a nice grunt to it, but I'm not for sure on the horsepower as the pipe was put on before I ever rode it.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bump for any other suggestions of what I can do or especially places I can find parts. I'm mainly looking at studs and exhaust right now. I may try some clutch and track stuff next year. But any suggestion would be great.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
check out the "gold magnum quick shift" clutch here, we put one of these on our exciters and it was unreal how they work. We went and bought one for the other one even though it didn't need to be replaced.
http://www.kpigroup.us/sno-stuff/frame2.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts