Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, Just signed up. I just horse traded some steel for a well used 92' Cheetah Touring LT 440 liquid with hi/low chaincase. While in reverse, the gear will slip easily. My hobby in the winter is rehabing tired iron and selling/trading to friends and family(for cost). I haven't put any money into it yet (shop manual) and I'd like to learn more about this chaincase. I do all my own work but I don't want to put big $$ into this sled, although it would be a better cabin/firewood hauling sled due to the hi/low chaincase. Does anybody have experience rebuilding or adjusting these transmissions? Do I have to just remove it and break it down on the bench top? Is there hope that the gear slipping can simply be adjusted out? Your help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Ya i would take it apart and see whats inside, i dont have any experience with these though so watch it closely when taking it apart to make sure you dont lose any parts and watch where everything belongs, if it is just a bad gear or chain it should change out easily, breaking down on the bench i believe will not be possible becase you have to take it apart just to get it out, i would clean it out good because if it is slipping there will be metal shavings in there that may lead to a future problem

and Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dakota,
I saw an exploded view online of this transmission and it's way more complicated than your normal tranny. Nice RMK, my rocket sled is the same in the year 2000. I've installed a 151" track, bar riser and clutch kit on it. I like the fact you've manufactured some of your own mods. The 700 domestic twin(pre VES) has been rock solid for me. I purchased it brand new and have over 4000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
AKCabin said:
Thanks Dakota,
I saw an exploded view online of this transmission and it's way more complicated than your normal tranny. Nice RMK, my rocket sled is the same in the year 2000. I've installed a 151" track, bar riser and clutch kit on it. I like the fact you've manufactured some of your own mods. The 700 domestic twin(pre VES) has been rock solid for me. I purchased it brand new and have over 4000 miles on it.
thanks

thats why i switched to polaris we hvae the 94 indy sprt with 8500+ and zero problems, our cats with less then 3000 are in the shop left and right

1 - 4 of 4 Posts