Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just like to say that I am glad I found this site... It has a world of info that has saved me alot. Especially the tips on the recoil spring installation.. WOOHOO went off without a hitch.

Anyway. I have a 92 EFI with about 7K on it. This sled is in near mint condition. I put a new track on it 2 years ago - greased up all suspension etc.
The engine hasnt been touched.
It has always had the same problem for me. My friend took it out for a weeks trip and never had it happen but he was in northern MN where it was about 20 each day.
This sled starts great cold.. It just seems that if you restart it within an hour or so it gets crabby. I need to feather the gas slightly to get it to start. It will pop a bit and sometimes even run for a few seconds then die.
It runs great through the RPM band but now. Battery is new. I cleaned out the TB's on the sled. Gas is from the end of last winter.
But this starting issue has always exsisted since I have had it.. 4 years now.
Seems it wont start hot - in hotter weather. Yesterday I took it for a rip after warmup on the street around the block. My neighbor rode quick - shut it down in my driveway.. I went to put it in the garage about 20 min later and I had to mess with it again.
I know I shouldnt have to touch the gas with EFI but its the only way it would startup.I had to pull it about 10 times and I know to wait for prime etc.
Then when it starts it sounds "choked" for a second the BAM rpms go up and everythings fine.
Sorry this is so long but I wanted to give a complete picture.
Thanks Much
TK [:D]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sounds like you may have an issue with one or more sensors, which will cause the computer to inject the wrong amount of fuel when the sled it started up after running and getting warm. Do you have a service manual for your sled? If so, check all the sensors and see which ones are out of tolerance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I dont have a manual. I would think thats the problem with engine sensors - but now to find out which one!

BTW it runs great once it starts. All through the power ranges.

I have had the same problem with cars- the engine temp sensor thinking that the car is warm but its cold so starting is hard. This almost seems the reverse.
Anyone have any idea of which sensor? Or where its located?
Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you don't get a manual to help or know or find someone who does, I'd say a trip to your local dealer may be in your future...

·
Registered
16 Posts
i got a 650 efi rxl and i had that same prob. come to find out when i re built the thing i hooked up the temp. wier up to the wrong side of the sensor it wouldnt alow my sled to start without touching the gass because it said it was overheating but i knew it wasnt i changed sides and soddered it on and never had that problem again now my batterie is not charging something wronitg with me fly wheel. hope it helps and dont hit the gass not good! let it struggle a bit. oh i got a question how fast should my sled go? how much hp. thanx all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Was that the first time it has been ridden this year? I had the same problem with mine. I rode the crap out of it for about an hour and whatever was wrong must have came out of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If there is a sensor out of range, the ECU should throw a code There is an LED on the front of ECU that will flash the code. You'll need that manual.

·
Registered
384 Posts
1992 was the first year for the 500 EFI.

I snowchecked one for my wife and had the same problem from day one.

Towards the end of the season Polaris came out with a fuel enriching switch they retrofitted. It was sort of an electric choke. That helped if you new how to use it without flooding. They did not have an electric start for that model so I bought a kit for the 500 carb and put it on. With that she could start it about 90 % of the time

They corrected the problem on the 93

·
Registered
156 Posts
You guys are responding to a 2003 thread. Is there still an unresolved issue?

JJ

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
LOL, it's nice having someone besides me answering all the EFI questions since mrholmquist (the only EFI expert I know) seems to not come here anymore.

Good catch on the old thread thing, I didn't notice that until you posted it!! Now I can get back to working on my RXL drag sled instead of wasting my time answering a 10 year old question.

·
Registered
156 Posts
No problem, Poo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts