Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 mach 1 617 with rave, I cant seem to keep a belt on it on less i take off the belt cover and let it get lots of air but i really dont want to do that just in case it does blow and does do damage that would suck. My clutches are alinged too dont no whats up any infor would be sweet! [attachment=58160]

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Looking aligned and are aligned are two different things, get a dealer to do it for you

Also clean your clutches (tare down and clean)

·
Registered
35 Posts
If your clutches have been properly aligned and you keep blowing belts be sure the clutches don't have any glaze where the belt rides, you can remove the glaze with scotch brite pads from your local hardware. Also be sure to break the belt in properly, do not accelerate hard for long periods of time for the first 50 miles, the heat build up in the belts are what cause them to come apart.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Check your motor mounts make sure they are not broke
check clutch alignment offset and belt deflection
Is the belt hitting the belt guard on the downshift?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Check your motor mounts make sure they are not broke

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by CrazyMountainGuy
[br]Check your motor mounts make sure they are not broke
No there fine everything is tight but i no what you mean my buddy has a 92 mach x and the 2 mounts on the clutch side were ripped apart no joke he bought it like that. the guy he bought it off of was dume enough to drive it like that can you belive that talk about a guy not noing nothing. he got it for a sweeet deal

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by TeamNFG
[br]Looking aligned and are aligned are two different things, get a dealer to do it for you

No there aligned by dealer and clutches are in great shape too! i think i just dont get enough air to the belt iam 6-9 300 pounds could that be the reason i dont no but on my buds 99 mach 1 there is an air duct right to the belt cover, the cover has slots in it to take in the air maybe thats my problem i dont no what do you think latter!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have seen guys drill holes into the cover before to make it look like a honey comb for more air
Me personally I have never had an issue with the belt being to warm or the clutches
on Second thought get a belt that is ribbed ontop and bottom supposedly its suppose to run cooler who knows just an idea

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Originally posted by littleman
[br]
[br]Looking aligned and are aligned are two different things, get a dealer to do it for you

No there aligned by dealer and clutches are in great shape too! i think i just dont get enough air to the belt iam 6-9 300 pounds could that be the reason i dont no but on my buds 99 mach 1 there is an air duct right to the belt cover, the cover has slots in it to take in the air maybe thats my problem i dont no what do you think latter!
I would say no to the wieght problem, those sleds were set up for two up seats also that would wiegh over 300lbs.
You have something wrong....how do you know the clutches are fine, did you tare them down? what is your secondary pre load? is it geared to high? is there a screwed bearing on the drive terrain?
I think you have a bigger problem then needing air.
Let us know

·
Registered
711 Posts
More importantly what belts are you running???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[br]
Originally posted by littleman
[br]

I would say no to the wieght problem, those sleds were set up for two up seats also that would wiegh over 300lbs.
You have something wrong....how do you know the clutches are fine, did you tare them down? what is your secondary pre load? is it geared to high? is there a screwed bearing on the drive terrain?
I think you have a bigger problem then needing air.
Let us know
Hows it going "A" I just put a new trak on this summer and put new bearings (NTN) everywere my secondary has a pre-load of 14 pounds its off of my 93 grand touring. What should my pre-load be set on my mach. Should it be set at 18 pounds. Let me if you can latter bud!

·
Registered
35 Posts
You said your driven clutch is off your Grand touring? Check and make sure you have the correct helix for that sled, you may have the wrong angle of helix and that could be causing the problem, also you should have 16 lbs of pull when checking it with a fish scale.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Originally posted by Revpowersports
[br]You said your driven clutch is off your Grand touring? Check and make sure you have the correct helix for that sled, you may have the wrong angle of helix and that could be causing the problem, also you should have 16 lbs of pull when checking it with a fish scale.
Could be but not likely, since a grand touring will generally have a lower helix angle, even if it were higher the sled would just be low on rpm's. If everything is straight then that isnt the problem, and a new track and heavy rider wont blow belts.

Were you having this problem with the ski doo belts?

If not, what I think is going on is with the dayco belt its self. I have never had good luck with them or any aftermarket belt. Usually aftermarket belts are made of a harder compound than that of manufactures belt claiming better belt life when in fact the opposite happens. I believe that your primary is not grabbing the belt like it should and is actually slipping and not grabbing the belt fully, although you may not feal it. This causes more heat build up in the belt than what is intended, and after to much heat bam.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes I run nothing but the doo belt myself, and have no luck with the cheap belts, spend the money and get the doo

Also now that we know they are not stock clutches then you should be getting the specs for your sled and going through everything
spring, ramps, pins, pre load, helix and so on
an improper clutch set up will cause heat

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys for the help,I got everything checked out don't blow belts anymore, But talking about belts iam running dayco HPX they cost more money than a ski-doo belt so honestly i thought i was buying a better belt and plus dayco has a year warranty and ski-doo has nothing? I find that a little crazy anyway don't matter ill buy a ski-doo belt next time to try! Before I put my secondary on from my grand touring I still blew belts. So got the clutches took care of and drilled holes through my guard everything is working great no more problems, But get this drove my buddy's 99 Mach and blew the belt off in like 30min driven hard lol, I have just bad luck lol, "well guys thanks alot"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts