Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 Mach1 sled that was running good then died on the trail after being ran pretty fast. The pull cord won't budge now, I am fearing the worst. Is there anything else it could be?

[:(]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds seized to me. Try and rotate your primary clutch just to be sure.
My money is on the seize theory though

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just took a closer look and it looks like the clutch is stuck. See picture. I loosened the clutch bolt and the clutch popped back out, but now it is 'expanded'. How hard is it to pull the clutch assembly, or to rebuild.

/snofan/../images/users/mach1guy/DSC01020.JPG

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Looks like your engine died because the clutch jammed fully shifted out. Get a clutch puller and remove the clutch from the engine. Something may have broken or jammed inside your primary clutch. The TRA clutchs are fairly easy to work on. I would just dissasemble it and inspect the parts. When mounting it back on the engine, make sure you get it torqued to the specifications so the main bolt will not come loose. Your lucky it's your clutch and not the engine that failed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's pretty easy to take that clutch off,the first thing you have to do is push the center back in.to take it out you should have a puller and three clips. If you pull that clutch apart any farther the spring loaded blocks are going to go flying without the clips. I took mine off last week, i didn't have a puller so we carefully heated the clutch where the belt goes while prying between the block and the clutch. Carefully, with little heat, as to not damage it. The clutch comes off all in one piece. To take the center out you need three special clips to hold the blocks in place. Once you have the clips in, you just pull the center out. But it doesn't sound like it's your clutch that's giving you a problem, sounds like your motor is seized.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do I push the center of the clutch back in. Right now it is jammed against the side of the machine. Now that the belt is free the engine is turning over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i had a better look at the pic. My primary clutch was starting to jam. When i took it apart i found A bushing the had split and spun. If you take the center out you'll see three bolts, take them out and the aluminium cover that will come off holds the bushing. That was causing mine to stay shut. it's about 86$ at the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts