Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it bad to run 92 octane in your sled all the time I herd it was but I never really listened because it performed better with it and what could happen if I continue to run Premium(92 octane) fuel.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
It won't hurt it but if you don't need it don't run it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I run 92 octane and sometimes i go to sunoco and they have 94 octane, it wont hurt it but if it isnt a 600 or bigger i would probably run 87 or 89 octane, why pay more if you dont need to but if you want it to perform better go for the 92 octane

·
Registered
224 Posts
you really only need high octain fuel in big motors or high compression motors i only have a 13 to 1 compression and i need to run 92 with a 30% 115 octain blend this will keep it from predetinating at low altitudes after i get above 3500 feet i can run 92 only .

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by polaris09
[br]I run 92 octane and sometimes i go to sunoco and they have 94 octane, it wont hurt it but if it isnt a 600 or bigger i would probably run 87 or 89 octane, why pay more if you dont need to but if you want it to perform better go for the 92 octane
It will not perform any better on 93 versus 87. If you motor does not need premium(93) there is no reason to run it. It may even run worse.

Do a search here on premium fuel. WE have had many heated discussions on it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
all we have is farm fuel and since my sled needs premium i just use octane boost

·
Registered
349 Posts
Unless your engine requires a higher octane, you are simply wasting your money. The power output of an engine depends on the energy content of its fuel. This is completely different from the "octane rating." A big myth floating around is that adding a higher octane fuel to an engine will increase its performance. This is false. Engines perform best when using fuel with the octane rating they were designed for. Any increase in performance by using a fuel with a different octane rating is very insignificant. You might say well race cars use high octane fuel, and they make a lot of power. That is because of the engine design, not the octane. Due to the high performance of the engine design, they require higher octane. Not the other way around.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Good post Lurch77. My machine only needs 87 or 88 octane. I normally fill with 92, because it usually does not have any ethanol in it, when ethanol is added to the 87 and 89 octane gasoline. Otherwise, if there is non-ethanol 87 available, I use that.

Not intended to start an ethanol vs. non-ethanol argument.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Lurch77 is correct.
Higher octane burns slower and cooler.
This meens that a higher octane that what the motor requires will only serve to make you run too rich and barbely.
It's also much more expensive to run higher octane, especially when you add it up over a winter.

·
Registered
464 Posts
One thing people have to understand is the lower the octane rating the more volatile it is.
As the rating goes up the flash point goes up as well.

If you have a engine with a compresion ratio that requires the high octane and you run a lower octane it will detonate early causing "spark knock".

Now if you have a engine with low comp ratio that only requires 87 and you run premium you are wasting your time. Not only your spending more but you will have less performance and fuel economy.

Some of the newer high performance engines such as the 600 HO Liberty is set up for premium, but they also have a timing key to back the timing down so you can run 87 if premium is not availble. But you can definatly tell the difference in performance as well as fuel mileage.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
on my 97 ultra spx it says premium fuel only ,also on my 99 xcr 800 ,but it has that so called key switch the ultra doesnt

·
Registered
368 Posts
It deffenetly doesn't hurt them at all. My sisters boyfriend has a 2003 MXZ RENEGADE 800 (non rev). My dad has a 2004 MXZ ADRENLINE 800 (rev). Well the 03 has reeds in it and he always puts 93 in it and he keeps up with my dad. Before the reeds he couldn't keep up. So reeds do help and so does fuel!
JMO
Jake

PS: I have a full tank of 93 in my sled! HEHEHE

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Originally posted by roughrider99
[br]all we have is farm fuel and since my sled needs premium i just use octane boost
you only lose 3 hp with out premium in your pahzer, not worth it imo. i run 87 screw high grade stuff, i got a switch for premium and reg i just keep it on reg. but most important is to run ico propo so your carbs dont freze up[;)]

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Not really a need to run iso as all of our fuel has 10% of it, atleast around here anyways.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by Jake71Racing
[br]It deffenetly doesn't hurt them at all. My sisters boyfriend has a 2003 MXZ RENEGADE 800 (non rev). My dad has a 2004 MXZ ADRENLINE 800 (rev). Well the 03 has reeds in it and he always puts 93 in it and he keeps up with my dad. Before the reeds he couldn't keep up. So reeds do help and so does fuel!
JMO
Jake

PS: I have a full tank of 93 in my sled! HEHEHE
His machine always had reeds in it. I assume you mean he put aftermarket reeds in it, to replace the stock ones? The fuel has little too do with it. If the engine does not call for premium fuel, then he does not need it.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]Not really a need to run iso as all of our fuel has 10% of it, atleast around here anyways.
Yeah we dont and usally if you dont run it your fuel carbs ice up well not if you get it near the city its the samller trafic stations out on the trails.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts