Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tues. night the sled ran great, broke the shocks and rear suspention bracket. fixed them. Went out last night and it went about fifteen miles and died. It has spark, kind of faint. we took the fuel rail off and it seems to be pushing gas. when we did this the box was flashing two long red lights and then three short flashes. No other flashes after we reassembled the fuel rail. I'm lost. spark, air, and gas normally results in fire. and it has compression. Ive read about the batterry problems. we just replaced it a few weeks ago. could it be bad already? Has anyone had this problem??? and can you help me out??

·
Registered
104 Posts
i had a 92 .i replaced the battery twice 2 different seasons.but i also had every other problem with mine.condensation in the wires and computer.i replaced the wiring and the computer and still had issues.when it ran it ran awsome but after 4500 miles on it it was a nightmare.i ended up switching it to carbs thanks to my buddy who knew how to pull it off.i had it 2 years after the switch and it ran great.but it was money well spent after dealing with the efi.even the polaris dealers i took it to couldnt figure out what was wrong with it the last time.hope you have better luck with yours.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by powdiddy
[br]i had a 92 .i replaced the battery twice 2 different seasons.but i also had every other problem with mine.condensation in the wires and computer.i replaced the wiring and the computer and still had issues.when it ran it ran awsome but after 4500 miles on it it was a nightmare.i ended up switching it to carbs thanks to my buddy who knew how to pull it off.i had it 2 years after the switch and it ran great.but it was money well spent after dealing with the efi.even the polaris dealers i took it to couldnt figure out what was wrong with it the last time.hope you have better luck with yours.
Wow, helpful...

Anyway, the code you saw was for the PTO side injector, it was probably the first injector you took off when you took the throttle bodies.

Boy, this is confusing me here. Everything I think of I eliminate based on what you've told me. I would swap plugs if you haven't already... Then hold the throttle to the bar and try starting it like this. What this will do is tell the ECU not to open the injectors until the engine reaches 700 RPM. I'm thinking maybe it was flooded out.

Did it make a sound when it died? Or did it just bog to a stop or did it go straight to 0 RPM? More info on how the sled stopped maybe helpful.

·
Registered
301 Posts
15 mins is about the amount of time you will get from a charged battery before it goes dead.

make sure the battery is getting recharged when riding,
check the stator and voltage regulator.

also make sure your connections are clean and secure.

there is a ground wire that is usually secured with
one of the recoil bolts.
most miss this one as it is somewhat hidden with the exhaust, coolant hoses, wiring, and battery box.

don't rule out a bad battery, not all batteries are created equal.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by williewonka
[br]15 mins is about the amount of time you will get from a charged battery before it goes dead.

make sure the battery is getting recharged when riding,
check the stator and voltage regulator.

also make sure your connections are clean and secure.

there is a ground wire that is usually secured with
one of the recoil bolts.
most miss this one as it is somewhat hidden with the exhaust, coolant hoses, wiring, and battery box.

don't rule out a bad battery, not all batteries are created equal.
I just did rule out the battery. The relay to engage the ECU is working. He has good enough voltage to run the relay he'll have good enough voltage for all else.

Check the safety switches in the throttle block for continuity, if they have continuity no matter where the throttle is the sled won't start.

Also check and make sure when the kill switch is in the proper position that it doesn't have continuity as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when it died.. the first time, it back fired twice. we made it back to the garage and charge it with the truck, then it made it about 10 to 15 miles and boged down like it ran out of gas. Thanks for all the advice. this is my brothers sled and he's in Muskegan and I'm over in Grand Rapids. I'll have him try to check the switches for continuity. This sled has 7400 miles on it. Could it be that the spark is weak looking, blue but faint? We gave it a shot of eather in each cilinder and it should have triied to fire then but didn't.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Well, I leaning more toward a missing piston skirt If you take the airbox off and hold the throttle open and take a look down there and make sure they are still there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just talked to my brother after figuring out what a piston skirt is-- the bottom side walls of the piston? he says what he can see still looks new no scoring of the walls and all pistons, push rods seem to be in tack. nothing clonks when you pull it over. I told him to hook his truck up and try to jump it with that again. Maybe it eat the new battery already. Thanks again for the advice hopefully we'll figure this out by the weekend. if not he'll have to ride one of the Jags.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts