Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a'93 Indy SP 500 EFI with 1,700 miles. It is immaculate and I'm looking to ride it for a couple years. This is my first sled, that I have owned. What kind of reliability can I expect?

Any particular maintenance with the EFI system?

Thanks,

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thats a very reliable motor and its a very good sled. I think you will have lots of fun with it. And welcome to the site, this is a very good site and you will find that there are a lot of good people on here that can help you with almost anything or your sled, and their is also some people that act like dicks on here but dont worry about them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't believe it either. My brother-in-law has been bugging me to get a sled and he spotted a package deal near a jobsite he was on.

'92 Polaris Classic 500 2-up 3,000 miles elec start reverse (going to be a cabin sled)

'93 Indy SP 500 EFI, 1,700 miles (I'm taking this one)

'97 Haulmark 8' x 12' enclosed (brother-in-law is getting it)

$3,800. So we didn't steal it, but the condition of the sleds is amazing. They have been stored indoors and the low miles is due to the owner being an over-the road truck driver.

I'm hoping I can keep up to the pack on the trails.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I sold my 94 Indy500 EFI with 4600 miles on it last year. 2 pulls, starts up all the time. No worries about elevation...ever. The only downside is that it is a very heavy sled. Not great in deep powder. On bumps, can be a drain on your back.

It is a great fun sled, reliable, powerful, handles well through corners, and very stable. Definitely a workhorse.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I thought all the early efi sleds poo and cat sucked. you roll them, and your screwed. any truth to that? I thought it was something with the battery?? not sure, but everybody with one out here stripped that off and put carbs on em.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Its a good sled, but youd better pray that nothing goes wrong with the EFI system, because you will have a hard time finding parts.
Also, make sure that you shut the sled off with the key, not the kill switch. If you leave the key on the battery will go dead and the sled wont start.
For the most part its a good sled, but like I said, pray that you never have a problem with the EFI system. If you do, my advice would be to switch it over to carbs instead of messing with EFI.
My mother had a '92 Indy 500 SP (the black and pink one). A friend of the family bought it from my parents and last I knew the guy was still riding it and the sled had amost 20,000 miles on it and was only on it's 2nd engine rebuild.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I love my 500 efi. Never had a problem with it. You can get efi parts on ebay for cheeper in the off season.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a 95 500 EFI- I have no problems keeping up with anything on the trails. Drag racing on an open field or lake your not going to keep up with the 600's+.

Couple of up keep suggestions to keep you EFI working properly.
1. Pull the connectors from your ECU (black box on top of the air silencer) and gently blow them out with compressed air and check thier condition- then grease them (use spark plug or distributor cap type grease). Do the same thing with all the other connectors near the chaincase and under the pipe.

2. With your first tank of gas this year run can of seafoam. This will help clean your throttle bodies and injectors.

3. Make sure you battery is always fully charged! Your sled should always start on the second pull. The first pull is only to pressurize the fuel system (you'll hear the full pump start or buzz then stop)The next litlle baby pull and it'll start right up!

Sounds like you found a real nice sled for trail riding- Have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts