Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here--[:(]Long story---Bought a 93 Polaris Indy 500 EFI and it needed a new battery. Put new battery in and it read 13.7. Started right up, but died about 20 minutes later. Wouldnt start. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and it started. It's been in a storage unit for 2 years so I goosed it and ran it for about 35 minutes and all was good. Came out the next day and it wouldnt start. Battery reads 12.5 charged it about 20 minutes and it started right up. Checked the battery while running and it read over 14 so assume its charging. 9 times out of 10 when you turn the key you can hear the pump prime. the one time its doesnt, it wont start. Anyone have this issue before? 12.5 should be strong enough to run the EFI right?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on guys--I need help. What would keep power from getting to my fuel pump? Sometimes, I can pull the starter over and the fuel pump will kick on. Starts great then, but if I dont hear the pump, wont start. Is one of the sensors bad and if so which one?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Yes 12.5 volts will run the efi. Next to where the harness plugs into the efi control box there is a red led light, is it blinking anything? Will blink a 2 digit code. First digit will be a long flash 2nd digit will be a fast blink. Check and see if it's blinking a code and come back. If it's not blinking a code I'd replace the fuel pump.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Check your ground cable where it attaches to the engine. We had a problem with the early ones where the crimped connector was loose on the cable. Sometimes we had ground and sometimes we didn't.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, thank you---Can the fuel pump be intermittent? It works sometimes. No blinking lights on the ECU. I went through and cleaned and checked all wiring connections I could reach without pulling the battery box to get to the wires below it. This is my first sled, I've had wheelers for 20 yrs but thought I would like to have a sled for ice fishing and some winter trail riding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, I can take the left plug off the ECU and supply ground to the center probe in the harness and the fuel pump will run. Wont cut out but it makes me think that the ECU isnt tripping to supply power through to the pump. With all the sensors, could I have a bad one or possibly the ECU?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Well, you proved by checking for codes that the sensors are fine. The ECU could be shot, but I doubt it, I've heard of maybe one or two going in my time with my RXL. But I'm not sure what you mean by "left plug" on the ECU. There should be one plug that enters the ECU.

But, most likely one of your relays needs to be replaced or the fuel pump is starting to go. But, if you try to start the sled and can't, typically the fuel pump will not run if you leave it for a few minutes and try again, I noticed this on my RXL.

What I would do next is try and test the relay coils for continuity. If you have continuity try applying a 12v signal to it to get it to trip. And turn it off and on say 20 times and see if it's going. Or just replace it.

Also, are you sure that the sled isn't flooded when it won't start? When you shut down a Polaris EFI from the 90's it needs to be at idle, otherwise the machine will typically flood itself and it will be a bear to start. But you can try holding the throttle to the bar while starting it. This will tell the ECU to disengage the injectors until the ECU sees the RPM at 700.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I'll try that. I have two plugs side by side that go into the ECU on the sleds right side. Thanks to everyone who responed and I hope to be a regular on here with my new adventures. I'm sure once I get her running right I'll be stepping in it all over the mountain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to make sure that I understand the normal function of the fuel pump. On an EFI unit, the fuel pump will ALWAYS have a short prime cycle when the ignition key is turned on. If you don't start the engine right away, then the pump turns off. The pump will then cycle after the computer sees a crank signal?
The reason I ask is because when I turn the ignition key on, I don't hear the fuel pump. If I pull start the engine so that I only get a slow revolution out of the engine, then the pump will cycle (sometimes). When I don't hear the pump at key on or after pull starting the engine, then the engine won't fire. If I hear the pump cycle then it fires right up.
Does the main key ignition switch controls ground or power?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Yes, the keyswitch is controlling power.

The pump should cycle as you described.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply triple650indy.
So I should have 12v or more on one side of the switch and the other side goes to ground?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts