Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a '93 indy 600 xlt. This has a triple. I am new to sledding, and was curious if I made a good choice. I'm not concerned with speed, but more on reliability. This unit has 7000 miles on it, and is all original.

I have heard concerns about tripples possibly being less reliable. I was looking for an indy 400, but this was a good deal.

The engine looks good, and stared on the first pull (always a good sign), and seemed to have smooth acceleration (and loads of power).

Comments?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I have the same sled w/ 6000 miles and has been a good sled,I am now putting new pistons and rings in it.I call my xlt old faithful!!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
If your '93 XLT has the original motor, it is a 580, not a 600. The 580 was is an excellent motor. My dad bought one new in '93. He sold it in the late '90s with approx 8000 miles on it. The person he sold it to still has it. I do not believe he has ever had to do anything to the engine.

·
Registered
814 Posts
My wife has a 94 XLT with about 6600 miles. I've never had to do anything to this sled other than normal wear items- belts, hyfax, plugs, wear-rods, etc. It's been very trouble-free. I would say as far as reliability, the 93 and 94 XLT's with the 580 engine are right up there with the venerable Indy 500. Quick little trail sled too!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it's a 580. The full description is 1993 POLARIS XLT SKS. I'm not too sure what the letters mean. The machine is all original, and looks good.

What are some normal maintenance items to look at when getting an older sled?

I've noticed the brake seems weak, is this normal, or maybe I just need to add more fluid, and possibly blead the line.

·
Registered
814 Posts
XLT- Extra Lite Triple
SKS- Snow King Special

Yours has the extended tunnel with longer skid for deep snow. As far as maintenance goes there's a lot to check and keep up with.
All the normal wear items I mentioned in my previous post- plus grease points, bearings, chaincase, carbs, track. Best to go through everything before riding too much.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The older hydraulic brakes on Polaris were somewhat squishy feeling, but always worked very well. The difference between my '92 Indy 440 and my '95 XLT is night and day. Check the fluid in the master cylinder on the handlebar. Bleed them if it makes you feel better. Make sure the brake line is in good condition. They just take regular DOT 3 automotive brake fluid.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
awesome choice on the sled!!!! i have a standard track that i am the second owner of and now has about 8100 miles on it. i put rings in it a few years ago, but really didnt need to. honestly wish i hadnt of. when i tore the motor down it was perfect and still had cross hatch pattern. i just got excited and it was my first triple.
keep an eye on the suspenion. where the arms mount to the rails. they like to work loose and egg out holes. keep gas and oil in it.
hell i ran mine for 3 years on the same plugs. i never eevn summerized it. just put it away. everyone i ride with wants to buy it off me.
dont think ill ever sell it. when my other sleds break, its always there for me!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the quick responses. My buddy told me this was a great site, and so far, I agree.

We had a dump of about 12"-14" inches of snow about a week ago, and they're calling for a few more inches this week, so I think I'll be able to get a few good rides in and see what this unit will do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yah I just bought my brothers 93 Indy XLT SKS 580. He redid the top end last year but other than that the motor is still pulling strong. Great sled! Love the 136" track on it. Double check your front shocks on it to make sure they are not pooched. Mine are and also the rear ones were replaced a few years ago. Excellent buy!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pardon my ignorance, but, what's a 'can'?

I've finally had a chace to look over the sled tonight, and I've notice that the ski's are angle in (not toe in), they are definetly not sitting flat. Should they be? Is there an adjustment? It doesn't look banged up. Is this possibly to help with conering so that it doesn't slid as much?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
it may just appear that way, right now all the weight on the front is setting on just the carbides or runners. the radius rods could also be slightly out of adjustment. if its on concrete give it a ride before worrying TOO much about it. gotta remeber its a 14 year old sled, some parts are gonna be worn. probally nothing too major to wory about. the can is where the exhaust collects just prior to exitng the sled.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Got the same sled, it is a tank. Very important to do thorough maintenance. Tear it all down regularly and inspect everything. You learn the sled so you will recognize when something is wrong. Also, it is not that difficult once you have learned how things work...Or sell it to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If this were a car, I would say that the camber is out. The sled is in my garage, and both skis are angled in. When I took it for a ride, everything was good. I'll ride it for a while before I worry about it.

Checked the brakes last night. They didn't work. I found the brake light switch, which is mounted on the slave cylinder, is fauly. Brake fluid is leaking out. I'll pick up a new one today. Pads look like they are about half worn, rotor looks good.

From what I'm hearing about this sled is that it is a dependable, fast and fun sled. Cool!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I am so impressed with mine, I will probably keep it forever.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Originally posted by ringram
[br]Pardon my ignorance, but, what's a 'can'?

A can or silencer is basically a replacement for the stock muffler on the end of the pipe. The stock muffler on that sled is a heavy dog- you can shave a little weight by putting an after-market can on. If you can find one get a DG can- they're cheap and sound awesome on an XLT!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey, you got a great sled there.
The owners manual says to properly adjust the front end, you take your skis off and adjust everything until you can slide a certain diameter rod through both spindle holes. Now to break that down a little, basically the front end should be zero everything (camber,toe,)
One other thing is sometimes you can have a bent spindle. I'm going to go thru mine soon to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Save a few pounds. HA! I think I need to loose a few pounds myself before I start worrying about a few pounds on my sled.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts