Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to this site and was hoping someone might have some answers for me.
I just picked up a 93 Polaris Indy 500 SP EFI. It starts fine and runs great for about 10 minutes but then starts to bog down. Does anybody have any ideas where I should start to look.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
have you tested your battery?? those older efi's need a good battery to run properly. also how fresh is the fuel?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuel is fresh but I have not tested the battery yet. On my list of things to do. Talked to a few guys who say I should check the clutch. I am told that clutching can cause this problem. What is your take on this?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Never heard of clutch doing it over time...

Does shutting it down and restarting it make it go away, or do you have to wait a while.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Do a compression test when it's in the area where it won't run well.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
My clutch caused my sled to bog down cuz it was warped. My clutch also had 11,000 miles on it. It got to the point where if it was running under 40 it wouldn't wanna stay running and it would get worse the lower the speed. At stop it would die. The clutch was sticking and not moving so it was always engaged. Eventually it wouldn't start cuz it was always engaged. My dad had to get the trailer. To load it my dad lifted up the back of the sled, I started it, reved it up and he would drop it and I hopped on. It was moving and was so bogged down it sounded like a 4 stroke! But it loaded up by its self. I had to get a new primary clutch.

When you say it goes for 10 minutes and then bogs are you riding it and how fast? If it is your clutch go faster when it bogs, it should run better at a higher speed if it is your clutch. Also when it starts to bog get off and check the clutch, if the clutch is the problem the bolt will be sticking out a bit and not sitting flush. If its not the primary check the secondary too. If the bolt is sticking out grab the clutch and pull it out it should snap back out. Watch your fingers though.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Also, when it's not running well, look for a blinking light on the ECU.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I would replace the battery with an agm battery from batteries plus. They are far better than the old school flooded batteries, and have a two year no questions warranty. They are much more resistant to vibration, they can be charged at a higher rate. I have them in both of my jet skis, and have had very good luck with them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had a chance to work with it tonight and it is definitely a clutch issue. After riding for a while it started to bog down. I stopped and lifted the hood and rode with it held up. The clutch was not engaging completely at high rpm.
Thanks for all the ideas and I will keep you posted on my progress.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts