Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 93 Polaris Indy 500 EFI that does not run. I have spark. I can spray starting fluid in the jugs and it will start, However it will die after about 10-20 seconds. It ran fine a month ago. it would start 1st or 2nd pull.

·
Registered
317 Posts
starting fluid is very hard on 2 stroke motors and shouldnt be used. iv never owned an EFI sled but your not getting gas by the sound of it, is the fuel pump working? have u tried a charginging your battery or putting a new one in?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did charge the battery. I do hear the the fuel pump turning on, at least I think that is what I hear.

·
Registered
317 Posts
im not sure then , pull the line off the thorottle body and see if any gas is getting there

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
How old is the gas in it?

Have you changed the fuel filter?

After it stalls, have you checked for spark?

·
Registered
392 Posts
feebles said:
starting fluid is very hard on 2 stroke motors and shouldnt be used. iv never owned an EFI sled but your not getting gas by the sound of it, is the fuel pump working? have u tried a charginging your battery or putting a new one in?
I use it all the time on the carbed sleds we have, it reduces the amount of pulls needed to get them started from 10 or so down to 2.
Any reason it should cause a problem?

·
Registered
340 Posts
"Any reason it should cause a problem?"

Your kinda high jackin this thread but most people do not use starting fluid in a two stroke because it does not contain any oil thus scuffing the cylinder walls causing premature wear.

Any way....beenji. I had a similar problem with my efi two years ago. I had a bad electrical connection in the connectors down near the recoil starter. Start there, pull them apart (carefully) and make sure there nice and clean. Do the same with the connectors that are on the EFI control box. If they are all good (no green ****)put some dia-electric grease on them and put em back together. Another thing you can check is the main ground wire. Follow the little cable from the negative pole on the battery over to wear it's attached to the recoil. Take that bolt out, scuff the connection with emery cloth, grease it, and reconnect.

There are EFI experts on this site (I am not one by any means) who will chime in with additional suggestions so be patient.

How long have you owned it and how well maintained was it?

·
Super Moderator
11,283 Posts
Make sure the battery is 100% or it will not run right.

·
Registered
847 Posts
ok you say you hear the fuel pump run.

I need to know do you hear it cycle each time you pull the cord ? Or do you only hear it run when you first turn the switch on?

Also try to start it and then check to see if there are any codes being displayed (red light blinking on side of computer)

We need to determine if the EFI is or isn't supplying a pulse to the injectors , if it is and there is still no fuel being injected we will have to look at fuel pressure

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mrholmquist said:
ok you say you hear the fuel pump run.

I need to know do you hear it cycle each time you pull the cord ? Or do you only hear it run when you first turn the switch on?

Also try to start it and then check to see if there are any codes being displayed (red light blinking on side of computer)

We need to determine if the EFI is or isn't supplying a pulse to the injectors , if it is and there is still no fuel being injected we will have to look at fuel pressure
I hear it run each time I pull the cord.
I do not have any codes that I can see on the side of the comp box.

Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
How old is the gas in it?

Have you changed the fuel filter?

After it stalls, have you checked for spark?
I have strong spark.
I have not looked at the fuel filter.
Gas is from this summer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just pulled the fuel line off of the rail and pulled it over. There is plenty of fuel flow. So I wouldn't think it need's a filter

Thanks for everyone's help

·
Registered
847 Posts
i think since you have no codes , injector circuit codes particularly and the fuel pump is cycling properly whenever you rotate the engine so far at least things seem to check out electrically. No codes tells us the injectors are connected properly and fuel pump cycling tells us the ECU is receiving and responding to the RPM signal when the engine is rotating.
The next logical step is to determine that the mechanical side of the EFI system is functioning properly. The only way to do this is to test the fuel pressure with a guage. Fuel flow does not necessarily mean that you have fuel pressure. You need to install a tee in the supply line to the fuel rail and check the actual fuel pressure with a guage. Fuel pressure should be 35-37 PSI.

It is possible but unlikely both injectors are stuck or clogged but if your fuel pressure is good next we will move on to testing the injectors ability to deliver fuel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could be a problem with your 2 curcuits, you have 1 for fuel pump relay and 1 for self shut off. If you hear buzzing sound when you pull recoil your fuel pump is working.If one of these are bad, she will run for a few seconds and then shut off.These 2 relays are right behind the ECU box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My fuel pump is working. But it will not start without starting fluid. Evan with playing with the throttle it bogs out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Beenji, I was able to fix mine by repairing two broken ground wires down by the battery box where the ground strap hooks to the motor. Take the bolt out and check all of the ground connections. There should be 9 wires down there, 8 from the ECU and one running from the battery. Two of the wires on my sled were broke, they were the ones that were supplying ground to the ECU, which in turn ran the fuel pump. Worth a try! I also found corroted connections at the large 8 or 10 white wire connector. Good Luck.

·
Registered
847 Posts
bsjoquist said:
Beenji, I was able to fix mine by repairing two broken ground wires down by the battery box where the ground strap hooks to the motor. Take the bolt out and check all of the ground connections. There should be 9 wires down there, 8 from the ECU and one running from the battery. Two of the wires on my sled were broke, they were the ones that were supplying ground to the ECU, which in turn ran the fuel pump. Worth a try! I also found corroted connections at the large 8 or 10 white wire connector. Good Luck.
Certainly check...... but I think in this case it is going to turn out to be a different problem. bsjoquist had active fault codes showing up and you have none.

·
Registered
13 Posts
mrholmquist said:
i think since you have no codes , injector circuit codes particularly and the fuel pump is cycling properly whenever you rotate the engine so far at least things seem to check out electrically. No codes tells us the injectors are connected properly and fuel pump cycling tells us the ECU is receiving and responding to the RPM signal when the engine is rotating.
The next logical step is to determine that the mechanical side of the EFI system is functioning properly. The only way to do this is to test the fuel pressure with a guage. Fuel flow does not necessarily mean that you have fuel pressure. You need to install a tee in the supply line to the fuel rail and check the actual fuel pressure with a guage. Fuel pressure should be 35-37 PSI.

It is possible but unlikely both injectors are stuck or clogged but if your fuel pressure is good next we will move on to testing the injectors ability to deliver fuel

Hi Mrholmquist,
Was hoping you could help me with my 93 500 efi!!!It has the same problem as kingofit had in March and you thought he had a bad acs. mine has the same exact problem. you never know if it will cycle on the first pull. A reliable polaris mechanic in Caribou, Maine put a 92 ignition switch in so I could cycle the power and not be stranded. Basically, I have replaced everything on the sled and not fixed it. I thought I fixed it when I replaced acs with a used acs. Worked great for a while and then went back to intermittent starting.Maybe my acs was from the wrong year. I will try disconnecting tps sensor and starting from scratch, checking ecm. Will let you know what I find and go from there. Thank you for your future help!!!!!
Rick

1 - 20 of 29 Posts