Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 93 polaris storm which has hardly any sag in the rear suspension. I can stand on the rear bumper and it only goes down maybe a quarter on an inch(I weigh 210 lbs.) Last winter I put new springs on and gas shocks. On the trails the sled transmits bumps directly to my back. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? I have a manual that says you can change the mountion positions of the shock to soften the ride but I haven't tried that yet. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It sounds like your suspension is seized. Time to pull it out and give it a good going through.

- clean everything
- repair/replace bent or broken parts
- replace worn bushings and shafts
- grease shafts and pivot points
- replace bearings
- good time to paint everyting too

You will be amazed at the difference

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you try to turning the rubber blocks on the rear springs? There are three settings there. Just take a 9/16" socket and you can spin them. I know mine was the same way (very stiff) I just turned them once and it softned right up!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Almost sounds like it's not put together correctly and something is preventing the movement rather than stiff spring preload.

Does the 1/4" that is does move, soft or do you have to 'jump' on it to make it move at all?

I'm only 150lb and I can bottom my suspension out (almost) if I jump on mine regardless of where I put the adjuster blocks. '94 XLT (not Xtra 10)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Here's a pic of about where the rear suspension block adjusters are located that ccmsryan mentioned.

/polarisman/../images/users/Bman/R_sups_adj.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to jump real hard for the suspension to go down a 1/4 inch. My suspension blocks are set to the softest position already. Last winter I tried a 89 indy 500 and it rode soooo much smoother than mine. I figured my sled being a newer type suspension should be better riding. I'm just trying to figure out if I have a problem or if my sled is supposed to ride like it is.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Yep, sounds like your suspension is seized up. I have the same prblem with my XLT and will be going through it and replacing bushings/shocks.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
You didnt by any chance buy stiffer springs did you? or get a shock that was valved for a heavier rider? If not then i'd be lookin for seized componets like everyone else has suggested.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It does sounds like you need to give your suspension a good lookover.
Take them out and check everything and make sure nothing is broken or
seize, like above post mentioned. Replace anything that is neccessary,
and give all grease fitting good amount of grease. Take the shocks out,
move the front and rear torque arms and see if they move up and down w/o
any binding. It should move freely. Anything in the suspension that supposed
to move - make sure they all move freely and easily. Once everything is
all set to go - put the suspension back in the sled - you should be all
set. Once the season starts, grease more often through the winter. WL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've figured out the preload problem on my storm. Last year I purchased new springs from Dennis Kirk which were supposed to be OEM. Today I released the springs to see if the rear suspension would move freely which it did. Has anyone else had this same problem buying aftermarket springs? I'm not sure if I should buy Polaris's optional lighter springs or their standard. The ones I bought from Dennis Kirk must be for someone 300 lbs. +, Because my 210 lbs. doesn't sag the suspension at all.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
For 210lbs, the recommended ones would be the standard ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1993 Polairs Indy 500 EFI SKS and i need a new suspension mine is shot any idea where i can get one?? Thanks for any help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts