Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, ive been running my 93 Polaris XLT Special 580 every couple weeks this winter and its been running pretty good, but first it doesn't seem to be getting enough air (sometimes i have to ride with the choke on half). The other day though, i was pulling into my driveway (luckily) when i heard this really loud POP come from the muffler and the throttle kept going though and so did RPMs way up but it stopped moving then promptly died. I tried to restart it but nothing happened so i pulled the plugs and for one in particular i pulled it out and either heat that froze or smoke can flying out, it wasn't the middle one though. I went back today, it started up pretty nicely then i hit the throttle it pulled forward then died again. The same plug smoked again and the color residue on it was a real thin almost black liquid, i'm assuming that's normal due to the mix of gas and oil? I tried to start it again and heard the loud POP again and at that i left it alone in case the bearing or something is blown out. Does anyone know what could be doing this? Do i just need to clean the carbs or what?

·
Registered
634 Posts
clean carbs, new plugs, do a compression test if possible. souns like its rich, which 98% of sleds are from the factory. start with that and see how it fairs

·
Registered
56 Posts
i would def clean the carbs thats what i would start with maybe do a compression test also

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If you're running with the choke half way just to get it moving then you need to clean your carbs. Make sure you clean the jets and blow air through them. Make sure too that you have your choke and throttle cables adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, i'll do that tomorrow and see what happens, it had been sitting for a while since i pulled it out this winter so maybe that could be part of it. Do any of you know what that popping could be though, cause that's what was worrying me. Also, to clean the carbs, do you mean strip the whole thing and clean them by hand or use some of that liquid stuff you can just run through it? Also, my dad said it didn't matter but i just want to check and make sure, the oil in there is probably 12 years old, could that have an effect on it being rich (which i'm just making sure, is too much oil?)?

·
Registered
355 Posts
KingMax said:
alright, i'll do that tomorrow and see what happens, it had been sitting for a while since i pulled it out this winter so maybe that could be part of it. Do any of you know what that popping could be though, cause that's what was worrying me. Also, to clean the carbs, do you mean strip the whole thing and clean them by hand or use some of that liquid stuff you can just run through it? Also, my dad said it didn't matter but i just want to check and make sure, the oil in there is probably 12 years old, could that have an effect on it being rich (which i'm just making sure, is too much oil?)?
You need to pull all 3 carbs off and take them apart. You need to take all of the jets out and clean them thoroughly. Drain the gas and throw some new stuff in. This should solve your problem.

·
Registered
632 Posts
oil is 12 years old?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If the oil is really 12 years old I would maybe drain that and start new. Clean the carbs sounds like a good idea. How old is the gas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the gas is only from last winter, but i want to make sure its not the type of gas, just regular 87 octane is right isnt it? i checked the manual and it didnt say or i couldnt find it, also, i checked out the carbs and they have a hose running down out the bottom that had a plug on the end. I pulled that out and a bunch of gas came out, could that be the problem?

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/KingMax/file/185258/display.aspx
heres the picture of the carb, who knows what that hose is and why it's plugged? If it's extra run off shouldn't it be open?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
polaris_xc_racing said:
If you're running with the choke half way just to get it moving then you need to clean your carbs. Make sure you clean the jets and blow air through them. Make sure too that you have your choke and throttle cables adjusted correctly.
so while i had the air box off i looked at the carbs and when i toggled the choke (i have no idea what u call it) the slider didnt move up and down at all, but i did hear a little clicking noise, so i think the choke needs adjusting. How would i do that?

edgex600rider said:
If the oil is really 12 years old I would maybe drain that and start new. Clean the carbs sounds like a good idea. How old is the gas?
How would i go about draining the oil? do i have to unbolt the oil reservoir and dump it because the hose going to the engine is really short and theres no way i could poor it into a bottle or something.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
dont worry about the oil, it is fine. The sliders as you call them are not the chokes but rather your throttle slides, which is why you didnt see them move up and down. I'd say in all honesty, that you need to drain the old gas, put in new 87 octane, and a new set of plugs. If it still runs horrible it is definitely time to pull the carbs off the engine and start cleaning. I'd guess you have plugged pilot jets and maybe even plugged main jets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and i definitely think theres something more wrong inside the engine, the backfire-ing is getting really bad, and instantly stops the engine from turning, even when im starting it. So what causes it to backfire and can that cause some serious damage to the crank or pistons?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TriumphoverU said:
dont worry about the oil, it is fine. The sliders as you call them are not the chokes but rather your throttle slides, which is why you didnt see them move up and down. I'd say in all honesty, that you need to drain the old gas, put in new 87 octane, and a new set of plugs. If it still runs horrible it is definitely time to pull the carbs off the engine and start cleaning. I'd guess you have plugged pilot jets and maybe even plugged main jets.
so what is it that the jets do? it sounds like thats something with the gas, but this sounds a lot like a more air related problem, like it keeps flooding. Cause when i start it, it'll start up and want to die, so when i push the throttle it starts pumping and then backfires, im not totally sure, but last year i may have put in 89 octane, could that possibly be the cause of the backfiring to?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Are the plug wires on the right plugs? and are the coils getting a good connection?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
littlemel said:
Are the plug wires on the right plugs? and are the coils getting a good connection?
the plug wires dont matter where there plugged in. those motors are batch fire, they all fire at the same time.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
KingMax said:
TriumphoverU said:
so what is it that the jets do? it sounds like thats something with the gas, but this sounds a lot like a more air related problem, like it keeps flooding. Cause when i start it, it'll start up and want to die, so when i push the throttle it starts pumping and then backfires, im not totally sure, but last year i may have put in 89 octane, could that possibly be the cause of the backfiring to?
I run mine on 87. and it runs fine, its not that unless its old. drain it and try fresh.

IndyRXL said:
littlemel said:
the plug wires dont matter where there plugged in. those motors are batch fire, they all fire at the same time.
They fire at different times hence why the pistons are not tdc at the same time.[thumb]

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
take out the spark plug set it on metal thats grounded and pull. make sure u have the key and kill switch turned on.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts