Snowmobile Fanatics banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,108 Posts
littlemel said:
They fire at different times hence why the pistons are not tdc at the same time.[thumb]
NO, they all fire at the same time on the xlt motors, go switch the wires around on your xlt, it will run the same, hence batch fire. [thumb]

kingmax sounds like you need to clean and sync your carbs and get new plugs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Why would it be different for the xlts?
Sorry to hijack your thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
littlemel said:
Why would it be different for the xlts?
Sorry to hijack your thread.
alright, they all sparked fine, so you think it's definitely the carbs that need cleaning or is there something that could cause it to not get enough air?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
I would clean the carbs. its not a bad thing to do no matter what. u can check the airbox to see if that is pluged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
littlemel said:
I would clean the carbs. its not a bad thing to do no matter what. u can check the airbox to see if that is pluged.
well i already had the airbox off and the carbs all looked fine, they were all in sync, so how would i go about disconnecting the carbs from the throttle and choke cables?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
the very top part is a screws on. then the slides will come out. The slides will be attached to the throttle cable. then they are free to come off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
ok guys, the popping usually means that the motor is running lean. There is absolutely no reason to go any further until you pull all the carbs clean them good with spry carb cleaner, and blow compressed air through all the ports in carb to be sure they are clean. Drain all old gas and refill with fresh, and yes 87 octane is fine. My money is on the fact that it set with old gas in it and now the sled is starving for fuel, hence the popping. Also, these sleds do batch fire!! Look at the coils they are all hooked up in a loop, how could one loop fire each cylinder independently, i mean not being rude but if your not sure on your facts, why would you stake an argument on them??? anyways, hope this helps, cover basic first then if no results, look deeper!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
you said that when it back fired the rpm's came way up how far. The reason I ask you could have taken out an oil seal,that will give you an air leak, after it runs are all the plugs dry or are there any wet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
charger12 said:
you said that when it back fired the rpm's came way up how far. The reason I ask you could have taken out an oil seal,that will give you an air leak, after it runs are all the plugs dry or are there any wet?
well it was weird, i was pulling up into my driveway then it's like it went into neutral (which it doesn't have) because it just stopped going but the revs ran up to like 6 or 7k (it goes to 10) then backfired and that killed it, so it didn't backfire then rev up if thats what it sounded like.

stormnmyhead said:
ok guys, the popping usually means that the motor is running lean. There is absolutely no reason to go any further until you pull all the carbs clean them good with spry carb cleaner, and blow compressed air through all the ports in carb to be sure they are clean. Drain all old gas and refill with fresh, and yes 87 octane is fine. My money is on the fact that it set with old gas in it and now the sled is starving for fuel, hence the popping. Also, these sleds do batch fire!! Look at the coils they are all hooked up in a loop, how could one loop fire each cylinder independently, i mean not being rude but if your not sure on your facts, why would you stake an argument on them??? anyways, hope this helps, cover basic first then if no results, look deeper!
Is there a particular type of carb cleaner that's best or is just anything fine from like Autozone or Menards or something?

And unrelated to the problems, but does anyone know of a really cheap pair of skis and/or carbides that aren't total junk, cause the ones i have now are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,729 Posts
I use the cheap wal-mart brand stuff. Any kind of carb cleaner will work. Time to dig in!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Awesome, i got the new plugs, some BR8ES's instead of the 9's and while the carbs didn't seem that dirty when i took them apart, cleaning them seemed enough that now it runs great. Unfortunately i jumped on and went into the field across the street and it got stuck in the 2 ft snow, but at least it works now so thanks for all the help guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I run mine on 87. and it runs fine, its not that unless its old. drain it and try fresh.




They fire at different times hence why the pistons are not tdc at the same time.[thumb]
Batch fire, ALL fire at the same time no matter where the pistons are, hopefully one is at TDC when it does though,,,,,
 
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Top