Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this group and this question may have been asked before
but I am ready to put a match to this sled [}:)] so any info would be appreciated.
I recently purchased a 93XLT and have had major problems with it pushing the coolant out the bottle and over heating.... Help

Buzz

·
Registered
172 Posts
Check your water pump belt.
If that's not it, have you burped the cooling system? Raise the front end of your sled a couple of feet and idle it with your pressure cap lever in the upright position so it can purge any air from your heat exchangers.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Trust me, it's the head gasket. I have an XLT that has blown 2 head gaskets. The pressure from the engine, escapes into the colling system, pushing the coolant out the bottle. Easy to replace, just go buy a head gastket and take the head cover and heads off the sled to replace it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I was waiting to hear before I ripped the heads off as I have checked and replaced almost the entire cooling system.

Do you know the torque values for the heads ?

Buzz

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Manual lists 2 different sizes:
8mm= 17-18ft. lbs.
10mm= 24-26ft. lbs.

Tightening sequence is from the center working your way out alternating sides. #1 is on carb side.

·
Registered
957 Posts
yep..... If you haven't changed the coolant since the problem started happening then it probably isn't an airlock. If the exchangers are gettin hot then it's probalby not the water pump..... which leaves the Head Gasket.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do yourself a favor and replace the base gasket too. I had the same problem last week on my XCR and after changing the head gasket It turned out to be the base. The gasket set should come with the base gasket also. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update !

Thanx for all the info gang !
The problem was obvious once I took the head off, 2 of the 3 gaskets were gone !

I am replacing the base gasket as well, does anyone have the torque values for the base gaskets ?

Thanx
Chris

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Base gasket torque,

8mm= 17-18 ft. lbs.
10mm= 23-25 ft.lbs.
Tighten in 2 steps from center out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts