Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find out what adjustments I can make to the stock suspension to give it the most travel as my son is 6' 240 lbs.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
You cannot change the amount of travel. You can change the stiffness and ride height, though. Stiffer springs should be available from Polaris. But, remember that the suspension should still sag when somebody is seated on the machine. Some people incorrectly think that sag, or sit-in, is "lost travel."

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
JD is right, stiffer springs are really all you can do to the rear without a suspension upgrade. I had a 93 XLT and it was the most reliable sled I have ever rode. Bought it at the auction in Bronson Mi. (for little of nothing) back in the Mid 90s. It was beat up, but after restoration, man was that thing reliable. I think I put 8000 miles on it and loved every one of them. Needles and seats and no suspension were my only issues beside of an operator error crash or two.
I think a xtra 10 or 12 or even a m10 would be a good idea if it is worthy. Keep in mind that the rear is a ITS (improved transfer system) rear and I think they only made that particular suspension for 1 year. I know the bolt holes were further up toward the track drive cogs than most. I bought a 1995 xcr xc101 fox shock rear suspension to hang under it and the front of the rails would have acually hit the driver cogs. I ended up just using the shocks on the ITS and it was nice.
My issues were more with the front suspension. It was a low rider for sure in the front. I added fox to the front and tightened the spring tension and that brought the front up alot. I then got my hands on a set of 1997 and newer front spindles that will bring the front up another inch. Along with some ski skins it looked nice and leveled out the machine nicely.[attachment=51437]

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I noticed there are other holes about an inch behind the others (toward the center of the rails) and it looks like it was mounted there previously. Any idea what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by MoJuice
[br]Thanks for the reply. I noticed there are other holes about an inch behind the others (toward the center of the rails) and it looks like it was mounted there previously. Any idea what I'm talking about?
No. Maybe others do, but you will have to explain better for me to understand. Are you talking where the front or rear torque arm mounts to the rails?

Dodger's post reminded me of something that you could do. The '93 XLT Specials came with Fox shocks. I do not know if they would work in the SKS version of the ITS, but maybe a dealer or somebody on here would know if they were the same length shocks. Fox shocks can be valved to fit the rider and riding style, which is nice.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I changed a 95 xcr from stock 8 inch, to the extra 10. DO NOT use existing holes!! I believe we used the front mount hole only and measured back from there, it is on this site someplace how to do it exactly. The only scary part we ran into, was the rear hole was redrilled almost off the steel bracket, and very close to the heat exchanger. the extra 10 was a great enhancement over the stock 8 inch. But if you do decide to stick with stock, my son was around 200lbs, and the suspension was set at very hard, his riding style . you may just want to replace springs and recharge shocks. fronts also. the suspensions only going to give you what it can. I have the xtra 12 on my xlt, and wouldnt recommend that for you.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, the holes are on the rear part of the suspension, there is another set of holes about an inch farther to the rear. The arm was mounted there before telling from the marks on it. I am sure they probably have to do with weight transfer. I just would like to know which would be better. I will probably put a new suspension in the future, but for now I just want to get it the best I can.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
weight tansfer should be done with the straps...There should only be 1 hole on each side in the front..Someone has changed suspensions or did some finnagleing...snap some digitals and post them. We'll figure it out, if your interested.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by MoJuice
[br]Ok, the holes are on the rear part of the suspension, there is another set of holes about an inch farther to the rear. The arm was mounted there before telling from the marks on it. I am sure they probably have to do with weight transfer. I just would like to know which would be better. I will probably put a new suspension in the future, but for now I just want to get it the best I can.
Okay. I think you are talking about where the rear torque arm mounts to the rail. Yes, there are usually a few sets of holes there. How I understand it, if you move the torque arm to the rear-most hole, it will help to make the suspension stiffer. I think there is a thread in the "How To" section about suspension tuning that talks about this. Maybe check that out.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I'm going to put the rear torque arm back in the rear hole as the suspension is soft now. I replaced the coil springs with newer ones the aren't weak like the old ones, but now I noticed that the front straps are so tight that there is constant pressure when I am trying to remove the front torque arm bolts. Should these be under pressure like this sitting on the bench? I also think that they need to be loosened because the sled is hard to turn. (Too much ski pressure) P.S. the front shock isn't adjustable.

Thanks, Kirk

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Sounds like you could loosen the limiter strap a bit. Try one hole at a time. Also, where is the rear of the suspension mounted to the tunnel. I have had the best luck with ride and handling when it is mounted in the bottom hole in the tunnel. Not the hole below the tunnel.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
You may also want to see if a stiffer spring is available for the front shock. If you find that you still have too much ski pressure after adjusting the limiter straps and possibly the new spring, you could move the front mounting location down one hole.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to know. I'll know more if we ever get snow, or I drive north to find some. I'd rather test it here though. Thanks for your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts