Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bud has a 1994 polaris XLT 580. He had a problem with the cranks filling up with fuel so he put new needles and seats in it. That didn't fixed the problem so he put a new fuel pump on it and that made it run better but still didn't fix it. So we went riding and it would still flood unless he would turn his fuel off right after he stop riding. Also if he would let it idle it would flood. And it also was a little boggy and sometimes when he would be riding if the clutch was not engaged it wouldn't want to go and then it would kick back in and run good. He is running 180 Jets in all 3 carbs. He also has br9es plugs in it. I am not sure what pilot jets he has in it. I am pretty sure his needle clip is on number 3. If anyone knows what the problem is please reply.
Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
You say it still floods with new needles and seats, but is the crank case still filling up with gas? I had that problem and put in the needle and seats with the coating on them. I think they were viton tips or something like that. I'm sure somebody here knows what you call them, way better than stock so they say. I'd unscrew the drains at the bottom of the cylinders and see if they are still filling the crankcase with gas before you go messing with carb settings.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I would have to say to check the float heights.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya the crankcase is still flooding after the new needle and seats. but we will have to check on the float heights, thats kindof what he thought it could be but he hasnt had time to check yet. sounds like that could be it though. Thanks for the feedback guys, ill keep you updated.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Check the chokes? I had a 95 xlt that oneof the chokes would stick after i pulled the choke lever up. The sled run doggy, and fouled the plugs out. I had to pull the choke out of the carb and clean it. Just some thing I have delt with.

·
Registered
198 Posts
change the needles to the viton tip ones there more money but well worth it.My 97 xlt did exactly the same thing as you desscribed and someone told me to use the viton tip, problem solved for me.Also change the plugs to the br8es thats what mine calls for..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its already got the viton needles, and i told him about cleaning his chokes. knowing him it will be a while. Thanks for the ideas, we appreciate em.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts