Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know off hand what the head gasket for a 94 indy 440 looks like?? the one i took off was just that plastic type material and it had no steel rings like the gasket for my older indy 400. Aren't they supposed to have those rings around the cylinders? maybe this is why the pistons melted down?

thanks for any input!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, the one that came off of it is a flexible rubber/plastic type material with no metal on it...is there something wrong here? lol maybe i should check at a dealer and see what the headgasket looks like...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i got a new gasket, it was a bit different bust pretty well the same (all coolant passages are the same)...im just wondering why they make some of the holes for the coolant passages significantly smaller on the gasket than what they are on the head...from where i pulled off my old gasket you can see some of the actual coolant passages are far bigger than the hole cut out in the gasket...is it supposed to be like this? all the coolant holes line up but im thinking they shouldn't restrict any coolant, or am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I recently went through this same situation with my Indy 500(basically the same engine). These engines have no thermostat, therefore, the head-gasket limits the amount of coolant flow. Make sure that the bigger holes go on the clutch (pto) side.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i actually went through that on my 440 it was kinda a rubber material from what i remember but i also remeber it have like metal rims around the pistons and ya make sure the bigger holes go to the pto side or else you can have troubles with moisture getting in the pistons i did the same thing was real fun... not

1 - 6 of 6 Posts