Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i just got a 94 indy 500 efi off my friend, and not to my surprise it has issues. so here it is the sled starts and idles fine but after riding for a while it bogs down at full throttle but will still idle fine. So shut the sled off and start again and no problems. ride for the same amount of time and same thing happens. any suggestions or has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
161 Posts
How long before it starts to act up?
How long do you have to let it sit to go back to normal?
Any codes blinking on the ECU?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It takes about fifteen minutes before it starts to act up and as soon as you stop it and re start it, its fine as for the ecu i will have to look to see if it throwing any codes.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
My guess is the ECU or one of the relays.. The symptoms lead toward the ECU timer, but it's triggered by the relay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you know of any way that i could test these to narrow it down or is it one of these situations where you throw parts at it until its fixed?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
IIRC, the relays are the same on that sled (sorry, the 500's ain't my specialty) so start by swapping the relays.. If the symptoms change get another relay to replace the one that's bad.

If the symptoms don't change, use a schematic and check the wiring.

Maybe by the time you've done that the real 500 experts will chime in.

·
Registered
161 Posts
sounds so much like the problems I was having with my RXL. never did realy figure it out right.
I would go through all the wiring and look for bad/cracked wires, loose or missing ground wires. Keep that battery fully charged...
try moving the relays around and see if the issue changes.
I went as far as adding a volt gauage and fuel pressure gauge so as soon as the problem happened I had the info right then and there.
One other thought with mine was engine temp sender...ecu thinks the motor is hot so it adds more fuel to richen it and cool it. Then when you restart it resets the ecu for the next 15 min's or so...

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Coule be any one of the sensors doing that, but turning hte sled off and back on shouldn't clear it.. The error should stay till the ecu turns itself off in around 10 minutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 88 indy 400 that bogs pretty hardcore when i take off on flat surface, and when it deeper snow.. i have tried adjusting carbs differently, i have put new air filter, checked all gas lines and have also put new plugs. it still seems to bog until it gets to about 15-20 mph. any ideas?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
indy400boi said:
I have a 88 indy 400 that bogs pretty hardcore when i take off on flat surface, and when it deeper snow.. i have tried adjusting carbs differently, i have put new air filter, checked all gas lines and have also put new plugs. it still seems to bog until it gets to about 15-20 mph. any ideas?
indy400boi - you should start your own thread about it. It's not polite to jump on other people's threads like that, it's called thread-jacking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys i will try swapping the relays today and see what happens, and look for loose ground wires. when i got the sled the first thing i did was new plugs and battery so those are good. i will try this and get back to you guys tomorrow thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
i appoligize for that, but this sounded like a thread that was somewhat similar, and my computer wouldn't allow me to start my own, only reply to someone elses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so i went out tonight and ran it until the problem occured and popped the hood and the ecu was not thowing any codes. so i swapped the relays and still the same problem. i think on frisay i am going to meter the tps see if it has its full range. i also found an ecu on ebay for cheap so hopefully that comes soon and i canswap that out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
exact same problem with mine. once it got warm i unhooked the water temp sensor and put in a 1k resistor and it ran great. Just waiting for the new sensor to come in to replace it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts