Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 94 rxl efi won't get above 70, need help!!!!!!! Should I clutch it? Or is it something in the efi!? Please help I need it fixed to I can ride this winter

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Clutching it won't increase the top end speed. Things I would check is wear in the clutches and the gearing ratio. You could be geared for acceleration, which robs from your top speed. You could just as easily need bushings and buttons replaced in your clutches.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If it used to go over 70 then like above, go through your clutches, check that all bearings are good in the whole drive line, and snow would help out also!

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Is there a light blinking on the ECU? That would give a clue that it's the EFI..

As mentioned, when's the last time it had a tune up and lube job?

Is the pipe rusting out? The lack of proper pressure from the tuned pipe will severely diminish the horsepower.. Is there a mouse nest in the airbox or the can?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was freshly rebuilt last fall and the clutches were professionally rebuilt. No lights on the ecu. Noticed today when I fired it up to let it run for a min the voltage regulator was glowing orange the instant its started. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
What RPM is the motor turning for the sled to do 70mph? What is the normal RPM for the engine? Single pipe/triple pipe?

Voltage reg could be an issue.. Disconnect the plug with the 3 yellow wires down by the stator, that takes the AC load of the sled out of the question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had it wound to 7000rpm to the point where it was stuttering like it was taching out, and it just it super boggy in the top end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also its the single pipe, and I dont know the normal rpms have never had it above 70 because I can't get it there

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Lift the back end of the sled with a log or something so the track is off the ground, and take the belt off. Then turn the secondary clutch and see if the track turns freely.

If it doesn't, you have an issue in the drivetrain to figure out, like a seized bearing or dry chaincase.

If it does spin free, the problem is engine related. (you can also start the engine with the belt off and see if it will run over 7k rpm)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts