Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the jackshaft on my sled and tried to start it but it won't fire. The last time it ran was when the shaft wore off and it was running fine at that time. I pulled the plugs and checked for spark, tried new plugs, unplugged the kill switch, made sure ground was good & hooked and unhooked the ignition switch (when I got it the ignition was unhooked and it worked) all without getting any spark. I don't have any guages or meters to check for spark (not familiar how either) so wondering if there is something else I can check? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
368 Posts
if you changed the jackshaft, you would have had to remove the airbox, chaincase cover, as well a the secondary clutch. when removing the airbox, did you have to remove the carbs, or did you leave them in place? the airbox is where the coils are mounted, with a ground wire and an orange wire. check that these connections are together. the carbs have a pair of wires coming off of them as well, a black with yellow stripe and a black. make sure these are properly plugged in to the corresponding wire connectors.. without either of these connections, no spark. start there and report back

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not take the carbs off. I checked that the wires were tight when I put the airbox back on so they should be grounded well. The orane wire is plugged into the coil fine. The 2 wires you refer to coming off the carbs are plugged into each other just like the way they were before. I don't recall taking any wires off or coneectors when I disassembled but that was 3 weeks ago and put together today. I unplugged all connections and replugged to make sure they were tight. Still nothing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
find the wires that the ones from the carbs are supposed to be connected to and make sure they are plugged into each other. that is the tors system and it has been bypassed, but unless the other wires are plugged to themselves, no spark. didnt quite get the jist of the disconnecting the key switch comment. is it currently plugged in? a faulty switch will also create a no spark. if the switch was unhooked, i assume we are not dealing with an electric start machine, so a dead/low battery wont be an issue?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not an electric start. I am not sure why the key was unpluggede but it was before the jackshaft as I could start and run the machine without the key. When I had it apart I learned about the TORS and held the throttle the way you are supposed to test out the TORS so not sure if something could have stuck from that. I don't think so as everything seems free to the carbs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I GOT IT!! I did not have the wire grounded to my coil, I had it grounded to the back of the airbox which grounds to the sled. Moved this wire and fired up on first pull. Thanks for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts