Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 94 600 vmax and cleaned up the clutches before putting on a new belt. The manual talks about two spacers being used between the sheaves on the secondary clutch when installing a new belt. But I am not 100 % sure on how to access these. Do I need special tools to do this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
well if its the shims that i am thinking about my friend all you need a socket when you pull off the clutch you will see really thin washers on the drive shaft and with a new belt i am not to sure if you add them or remove.

·
Registered
368 Posts
you will need a good set of snap ring pliers to remove the helix. a helx/spring copmpression tool is handy but not necessary. the shims go inbetween the 2 sheaves and may or may not be necessary, and they may even be installed already.

pull the secondary off the sled. pay attention to the washers behind the bolt and also the ones on the jackshaft. simply wrap your new belt around the secondary as if you were going to run it. belt should be just flush with the top of the sheaves. if it sits below, open the secondary and remove a shim. if it sits too high, add a shim. shims were available in 1mm and .5mm thicknesses, i think.

if you have to remove the helix for adjustment purposes, pay attention to the spring orientation. theres a 1-2-3 on the helx and a c-a-b on the sheave. yours may be in position a-2.

once you have the belt where you want it, reassemble the clutch and install it. put a bit of grease or anti-seize on the jackshaft first. it will make the clutch come off easier next time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts