Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my sled isn't used much. Mostly around the house but today took it to a friend's property. It wont pull anymore once it reaches about 40-45. It seems ok from the start up low end but I don't have much to compare that to either. At about 40 it revs but doesn't accelerate any more, that is the max speed but it is still revving about 6,000 at least. I can let off to 3/4 throttle and keep the same speed. So my question is do I need both clutches rebuilt or just secondary? Or something else need adjusted? Sled has about 3500 miles on it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Both clutches could use a once over if they have never been serviced. The spring are likely sacked out and you may have some sticking parts. Also, make sure the belt is good as in not dry rotted or worn beyond it's service life.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just installed a new belt yesterday while riding because the old belt had some missing teeth. It is a new belt and that made no change though. I looked today at rebuild kitsch, it doesn't look like much to replace on them. Bushings, slides etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also checked belt deflection tonight, specs call for 1 1/4" and mine measured at about 1 1/2. Not sure if that bit makes a difference or not. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would check for a broken primary spring and a broken secondary spring or a sticking/dirty secondary. To rebuild the primary completely you will need $300+/- in specialty tools. when the face is off the primary, check the rollers for flat spots and excessive wear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you do decide to buy the tools, you can get everything you'll need to service the Primary for $161.89 at the link below. This will work on your P85 clutch.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRIMARY-CLUTCH-PULLER-TOOL-REMOVAL-HOLDING-FIXTURE-SNOWMOBILE-ATV-POLARIS-EDGE/152776838719?hash=item2392358e3f:g:1h4AAOSwEzxYdSkF
Edit- after some research it looks like that puller is for the liberty twins, I would still buy that kit and just buy the correct puller separately. you can't beat that price. A good puller should run about 20 to 30 bucks

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Check compression, clean the carbs, change plugs and go from there..Should be revving over 8000RPM, I doubt its your clutches. I have had broken springs and bad rollers before and it will still run better than what you are describing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts