Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am new to this forum, i have a problem with my 94 xlt (580), i drained the antifreeze and tried filing it back up, it filled to the top where i was putting the coolent in but none of it went into the overflow bottle even after i released all the pressure, and when it is running it constantly backfires out of the exhaust. Can anyone possibly help me out?

·
Registered
19 Posts
the front of the sled has to be at least 8 inches off the ground aside from the normal hight to fill the coolant to get all the air bubbles out and the back firing could be from your pto cylinder burning down which is common in the 94 xlt

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by wrenchmaster
[br]the front of the sled has to be at least 8 inches off the ground aside from the normal hight to fill the coolant to get all the air bubbles out and the back firing could be from your pto cylinder burning down which is common in the 94 xlt
Can I ask why that would be common?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Backfiring is caused by ice/water in your carbs, clean them up and go from there. Raise your front end as stated to purge the air from your coolant. Don't know why you'd drain your coolant in the first place, I don't think there's a real need to change it out every season either. The only time I add fresh coolant is after a rebuild which could be every couple seasons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help everyone, i drained the coolent because i was putting a new gasket on for my chaincase and it was much easier to get the chaincase cover off if i disconected the tubes going to the coolers undernieth the running boards.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Running SUPER rich can backfire out the exhaust too. The exhaust loads up with unburnt fuel and when the exhaust port opens on a particualarl cyl, POW! Sounds like a gun going off.

Check timing too.

Bryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if there are air bubbles in the line wouldnt make it backfire because the coolent wouldnt be flowing?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Check your crank case seals, a bad seal will cause them to back fire also, the 93-94 XLT's were probably one of the best XLT motors ever built, they were NOT known for burning down the PTO cylinder, they were however prone to implode due to "stupid" people toying with jetting, cluthching, and pipeing without sufficient knowledge to do so....[:D]

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
The backfiring could be caused from water in the gas. Clean out your carbs and put fresh gas in. You could also clean your carbs and dump a can of Seafoam in the tank, that usually gets rid of the water as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by ultrastud
[br]Check your crank case seals, a bad seal will cause them to back fire also, the 93-94 XLT's were probably one of the best XLT motors ever built, they were NOT known for burning down the PTO cylinder, they were however prone to implode due to "stupid" people toying with jetting, cluthching, and pipeing without sufficient knowledge to do so....[:D]
I agree that the 93-94 ENGINES(gas powered, motors are electronic!) are strong,however i have seen quite a few in my day shrapno the PTO cylnder not caused by clutching, Piping, Or the possibility of jetting!!! The PTO cylnder is the hottest running cylinder in the engine so it is prone to more wear during operation. There are many variables that may cause this to backfire.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by kittykiller
[br]
Originally posted by ultrastud
[br]Check your crank case seals, a bad seal will cause them to back fire also, the 93-94 XLT's were probably one of the best XLT motors ever built, they were NOT known for burning down the PTO cylinder, they were however prone to implode due to "stupid" people toying with jetting, cluthching, and pipeing without sufficient knowledge to do so....[:D]
I agree that the 93-94 ENGINES(gas powered, motors are electronic!) are strong,however i have seen quite a few in my day shrapno the PTO cylnder not caused by clutching, Piping, Or the possibility of jetting!!! The PTO cylnder is the hottest running cylinder in the engine so it is prone to more wear during operation. There are many variables that may cause this to backfire.
If you want to get technical and attempt to correct my buddy Jeff, a motor is ELECTRIC, not ELECTRONIC. There's no semiconductors in a motor. Around here they are taken one and the same. This isn't 1915 when people couldn't grasp the concept of an internal combustion engine and they figured a rotating shaft meant electric motor.

Besides that, like Ultrastud said - it's the clutching/pipes/jetting that revs them over 8500 or so that makes them pop. Not saying that you can't do any of these, just that corrective measures need to be taken. They just weren't meant to rev that high stock.

And we need more info to help you with the backfire problem!

Bryan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well my apologise sir, i did not meen to affend you. i disagree with the seals tho because a bad seal leans out a mix which causes scavenging thru the carb.and a possible increase in idle, the middle of the case has labrinth seals which do not go out being that they are machined onto the crank. Backfiring could be caused by a rich fuel mixture, or wrong timing. i would still recomend that a compression test and cylinder leakdown be performed to verify combustion chamber and ring condition.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Hey kittykiller do you know Chris Robben from Motley?? Give him a call, he's a Polaris Gu-Ru and can rebuild a POO motor blind folded, he'll give ya the REAL run down...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
worked on a sled tonite doing all the spitting and backfiring, turned out, his sight glass is broken on the gas gauge, allowing water into the tank. Had to drain the tank, and coat hanger the supply tube inside the tank, the line was right full of ice, from the check valve to the filter. was able to get it running good, but going to do a carb tear down again on sunday, when it warms up. His sled is a 95 xcr

1 - 16 of 16 Posts