Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 xlt with a backfiring problem through the exhaust. I have tried everything that i can think of ,such as re jetting, checking for intake leaks, having the carbs checked by the dealerships twice and I am running out of ideas. ANY INFORMATIVE ideas would be greatly appreaciated as this is getting very frustrating.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I dont Know if this will be IMFORMATIVE to you, but it might help others that read these posts. Have you had the timing checked? When does it backfire, Idleing accelerating or coasting or when you shut it off or allof the above.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my sled backfires all through the driving range more at 3/4 throttle than any other range. I also lose a lot of top end when this happens. The motor is rebuilt with about 300 kms on it,But I had the same problem before it was rebuilt. It has run all day without many problems at times and then my next time out it acts up with more frequentcy.I have noticed that when I take passengers for a ride it gets louder and the popping is at closer intervals.Sorry about my first post I should have been more specific.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Ok. If we figure what causes a backfire we know that the gas/air mixture has fired at the Wrong time. In order for this to happen you must have a spark or extreme heat in the cylinder. Check the plugs for overheating if OK heres a list of things that can cause backfiring. loose connections. on plugs, coils , Tether switches, plugs coming from the motor ect. Bad CDI , bad coil, timing, Obstruction in the exhaust. theres probably more that are'nt comming to mind. I would check electrcal connections first. A freinds cat did this and after much searching I found it was a defective tether switch. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts