Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have some questions about this sled 1994 XLT Special, 1-what is the ski stance,2-any problems that I should be looking for,3- what value for a nice 1 thanks,Pete

·
Registered
366 Posts
sellin mine for 2000.00 canadian.I don't have the manual inside so i'll check later

Rich

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
People are not getting any more than $1000-$1200 for a 94 Xlt Sp on Ebay. according to this site:
http://www.polarisman.com/channels/content/DisplayModel.cfm?ModelID=94SNOINDYXLTSP&Year=1994

The 597 motor was first used in the '94 Sp. That motor was well known for crank bearing failures due to lack of lubrication getting to the bearings.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I was thinking their was 2 diff sizes of xlt motors to..maybe im just thinking of the xcr motor..?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
now I'm confused this other website says the '94 XLT SP has the 579 motor.

http://www.geocities.com/polaris-man/1994sleds/1994xltsp.html

I checked my Clymer shop manual and it only refers to the 597 motor, but it does have some different procedures for the 93's and 94's as compared to the 95's.

·
Registered
840 Posts
'93 - '94 were 579 (580cc) while '95 and up were upgraded to 597 (600cc)XLT's uses 34mm carbs while the XCR uses 38mm.
ACEXLT - I am aware of XLT's having crank problems, mostly because most people added triple pipes and increases the revs @9 - 9.2k revs. The crank werent design to spin at high revs, plus extra HP that is kicking out. If you leave the sled the way it is, with stock pipe - the motor will last you a long time with proper care. Anyone? WL.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
One correction: I have a 97 XLT SP that has the 38mm carbs. So maybe only the SP versions had the 38's and the standard XLT's have the 34's?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
My 95 SP has the 34mm carbs.
They changed in 96 to 38's on the SP's

·
Registered
425 Posts
For what its worth, I have a 96 XLT SP and it has 38mm carbs. I have also read that the earlier XLT SPs have the 579cc engine. I know someone who has a stock 93 xlt sp with almost 7000 miles on it and he has had no problems other than fowling plugs on occassion. He bought it with 3000 miles on it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
XLTease, I read the 'faq' at the link you posted. Had you seen any that had over 1500 mile one them that still had a good crank? I know you said 90%. Every 96 couldn't have failed. Any other Fanatics with the same problem?????

·
Registered
840 Posts
I bought a '95 XCR600 from the Polaris dealer in the spring of '96. It had been rebuilt at the time, but at the time before I bought it, the dealer didnt tell me it was blown up when it was traded in. During the '95 - '96 season, I somehow twisted the crank and cost me a $1k for new crank plus labor. The sled had PSI pipes, PSI heads and trail ported and had about 1.5k miles by the time I got rid of it. WL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a '94 xlt sks with 4000 miles on it. Just have to put new rings and pistons in it due to low compression. Ran pipes since 1000 miles with no crank problems yet. going to replace mill with a twin this year to loose some weight for mountin riding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts