Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to purchase a 94 ZR 580 that doesnt run for $500.the sled ran fine until the wireing caught fire.My brother in law (present owner) says the 2 cycle oil leaked on the voltage regulator and some how caught fire.It didnt really burn much,just some wireing.He said he replaced the stator after that,but it still wont start any advice???also is it a good sled??

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that a guy who was selling one on ebay said that year had problems with catching fire

·
Registered
764 Posts
is it getting gas? is it getting spark?? is it efi?? is all the wiring patched up and taped up so nothing is shorting out

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes getting gas,wireing taped up,no spark.im thinkin maybe CDI box????or do they not have one???i am knowledgable but havent seen the sled yet nor know the ignition set up of an artic cat....

·
Registered
764 Posts
yeah , i know a kid that had a 580 catch on fire, also know of a wildcat, zrt 600 and a zrt 800 (mine) catching on fire
damn cats

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Has it been checked for spark. Not starting may not be a electrical problem.

If no spark, you'll probably want to start checking voltage with a multimeter.

I never heard of them starting of fire before...guess I will have to watch mine a little closer. Is it the oil leaking on the regulator usually or is there other things that go wrong?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think he said the oil was leaking on the electrical components,but my friends skidoo had a little fire when he filled his oil,and spilled it all over and it leaked on the brake rotor.the rotor was glowing and even ignited for about 10 seconds when he stopped.i dont think this was the case though.

·
Registered
764 Posts
if it is an efi sled and it is an electrical problem look on the front of the ecu.... you will find a red LED light, turn the key on and watch the light, it will flash a special way for if your cdi is gone, coil is gone, stuff like that. Also when he got the stator done maybe someone was connected properly there either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts