Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 indy 500
the primary clutch bolt keeps breaking off in the crankshaft, or coming loose and spinning out. soo we decided that we should throw some lock tight on it . well it seared off again and we have a stuck piece of bolt in the crank shaft. then comes the real problem , we stuck a clutch puller in it and it wouldn't work for us cuz it wouldnt' get enough threads in the puller so it half stripped out some of the threads on the clutch. then we decided to put a pulley puller on it to see if we could get it off that way . which only dug our grave deeper when i cracked the clutch plate. soo i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me on how to get the clutch off . or if anyone has a old clutch they have sitting around that would fit that model that i could buy off them??? i would appreciate any suggestions other then blowing it up or running it off a cliff.
thanx
scott

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Got a cutting torch? The clutch is aluminum, the shaft is steel, hopefully you won't melt the shaft...Although the taper inside the clutch prolly isn't AL. The reason why your bolt broke is viabration, did you put the plastic piece, with the o-rings on each end, on the bolt when you put it in? That is critical, or the bolt will break. As for getting the broken chunk of the bolt out, have you any expirience with EZ outs? They work fine for this.

-Dean

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey , i noticed that when i put pressure on the shaft i can hear something moving, im not sure if my crankshaft bearing is not fitting right or what the deal is , the guy i bought it from said he bored it out to a 530. so i figured he must have blew a piston pretty good. when i put the bolt in i did put the o-ring, then a spacer then an o-ring on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
be careful i had the same thing happen to me at the beginning of the season, after the bolt kept breaking or rattling out of the primary a few times(even though i kept replacing it), my seconday clutch went, the inside plate came loose and the helix came out and stripped out all the dogs inside the clutch, and a new secondary is not cheap (trust me)
i dont know if it was just a coincidence for me or what but it seems too wierd that they both would happen within a few days of each other and not be connected

·
Registered
82 Posts
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5920

snap 101

check out the above thread as there was also some discussion on getting out a broken bolt.

hope this helps

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey, if you do use an EZ out, make DAMN sure you don't snap that baby off inside there - you can't drill those out if you do. I learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya im not worried about breaking off the easy out yet, im pretty good with those , im just tring to figure out how im going to get my clutch off with out busting it more then i did already

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bet that if you get it HOT you could whack it lightly wuth a hammer and it would come right off. I too have destroyed clutches getting them off. After I broke the inner shiv I just got a puller that would get on the smaller part. you may have to dress whats left of the clutch to get a puller on.

BTW when I say HOT I mean Oxy/Ace or equivalent.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i've seen a guy get a clutch off of a safari by filling the hole where the bolt is with heavy oil, then taking a clutch bolt and taping it up using electrical tape so that the bolt only goes in about an inch or two. just set it in the hole, put a rag around the bolt so oil don't fly on you and hit it very hard with a hammer, sometimes a takes a few times and you must make sure the bolt don't go in too far, but it does work. hope you understand what i mean, it is the pressure of the oil that forces the clutch off. no guarantees but it is worth a try...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts