Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my xcsp went down for the count few days agothe whole motor siezed up so i sold it for a thousand dollars.now im thikning i wanna take that money and buy another sled.im looking at a 95 rxl 650 efi has 3 k miles on it needs wear items replaced. has the xtra 12 seems to be a decent sled.has anybody owned one of these?how do they perform? im new to the efi all my sleds have been carbed what's the difference between the two?are they reliable?i do alot of trail riding is this the right sled for me?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody around here knows how to fix them, I trucked for 2 days, from central square, mexico, homer,syracuse,rome, camden, trying to get it right. They run great at WOT, but nothing from there. IMO, it was the worst sled polaris ever made. 3 mpg,no matter what we did, and everything we did was dealer. I sold it to a guy in Chittenago, he wanted it, no matter what was wrong with it..

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by pinkpower33
[br]DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody around here knows how to fix them, I trucked for 2 days, from central square, mexico, homer,syracuse,rome, camden, trying to get it right. They run great at WOT, but nothing from there. IMO, it was the worst sled polaris ever made. 3 mpg,no matter what we did, and everything we did was dealer. I sold it to a guy in Chittenago, he wanted it, no matter what was wrong with it..
That's funny I love the way my sled performs and it got decent gas mileage when I had the stock pipe on there, that has dropped slightly, but it still runs great with the aftermarkets on there! Also I can diagnose the EFI in a very short amount of time if you know what you are looking for. Dealers always wanted the quick fix method and never spent the time to read into the issues and get comfortable with thses sleds. Typically they just swapped until it worked. But, a few guys know how to tune the hell out of them.

Also the mid range is very strong on these sled, from 6000 RPM on you'll love it. It's that lower RPM that kills the RXL. It tends to struggle a little off the bottom.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm seems like a little bit of mixed feeling here.however i wanna be able to get decent gas mileage i know i cant expect much gas mileage out of a 650 but like i said im unfamiliar with the efi modelsi guess ill just have to go look at it see how it rides and go from there im looking for something with good mid range though so it just might be what im looking for ill have to wait and see..anybody else got a input on this situation?

·
Registered
80 Posts
yea! do it! a have one and i love it.. the response and performance out of it is awesoeme.. mine is even good at bottom end.. and pulls hard...i get good gas millage outta it too.. better than a 600 XLT or XCR.. so id go for it.. works really nice..and the xtra 12 is super nice.. mine dosent have it.. but ive ridden them that do.

·
Registered
248 Posts
like triple650 said the bottom end is not the greatest but everything else is awesome. With the xtra 12 id go for it. The efi is also makes for easy starting. mine always starts in 2 pulls, if its really cold 3 pulls.

the only thing i dont like is waiting for the efi to warm up. Sat went for a ride with some friends and we stopped at a place to eat. after we ate came out started on 2nd pull but it wont let you go until the efi warms up so everyone had to wait around until my seld would go. At least thats what mine does lol

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^that's kinda discouraging how long does it usually take to warm up for you? i wonder if most efi's have this problem^^^^

·
Registered
713 Posts
Usually it's only a couple of minutes but it seems like a long time. Only time mine will do that if it has just reset the fuel pump, but after a couple of seconds of waiting it's ready to go.

·
Registered
248 Posts
it seems like forever but its actuly not that long. went for a ride tonight and stopped at a place for 15 minutes or so and when we left i started it and it went right away. then we stopped and ate so probably an hour later started her up and it took maybe 3 minutes before it would let me go. but it seems like forever when your ready to go. but once your going the wait it worth it. I love my RXL, even though my girlfriend calls it my peice of sh*t sled, it was a pile when i got it cause the previous owner rolled it and never fixed anything. But yet she asks to drive it... hmmm

·
Registered
197 Posts
I owned that same sled for about 5 years, I loved it and still kinda miss it. I never had any major troubles with it, performance was good - was a little boggy off the line but fixed with a little clutching, super flat cornering and always started at the end of the second pull. The advantage of the efi is that there is no carbs or jetting to mess with which is nice. It certainly isn't any lightweight and mine had reverse too. Can't beat the brraaappp of the RXL either[:D]

Oh ya, I found it to be pretty good on gas as well.

[attachment=58433]

[attachment=58434]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
i have a 95 RXL it rides real nice. i bought mine witha totally trashed motor but i would love to have the EFI.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I had a 95(I bought it in 99) and got rid of after 1 year because it used gas like no other sled I have ever seen. It let me down once because a chip or something in the computer had a bad connection and every so often it would act like it was going to die. I took it to a couple different Polaris dealers but they couldnt find any problems.
The guy who bought it from me had it for one year and got rid of it for the same reasons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
]I have a 1994 rxl and love it. I have been riding this sled for 5 years and would not sell it even if i moved to Florida. I know a couple of people that own one and they all agree its a great sled . It does however guzzle gas but i think its worth it. Its extremely smooth and quick with incredible mid range very fast sled . I have no problem keeping up with newer bigger sleds .

·
Registered
798 Posts
I loved it while i had one but, Caught on Fire, Well I took it out of the sled and then rebuilt it now all i need is Carbs....

Pretty Quick sled, Midrange is like no other, when you got tripple pipes great throttle response..

I plan on sticking the rebuilt engine in an older sleeper sled, with a newer Suspension.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 93 RXL for 2 years now and I love it, and the best way to discribe the midrange power it's like pulling the trigger on a shot gun because on hard pack snow it's like hold on Harvey[:D]
Fuel milage doesn't really bother me either.
The one thing that is really important with these sleds is keeping all the grounds and electrical connections clean.[attachment=10865]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The Rxl, is what got me hooked to the x12 suspension, I loved the throttle response, and pure adrenaline rush when i hit the throttle, she really pulled, but the only time it seemed to perform, with any dignity, was on wide open areas. I would go thru 6 plugs, in a short ride. I tried ngk, champions, I even tried a set of $$$$$$$$$ plugs. Nothing would last. I sent it to several dealers, and they were real decent, but could never get it to work right. What I would have given to have someone like 650 to help me get it right. I do miss the tank, but not the gas mileage, 3mpg, the xlt gets 12, 3 batteries to boot. Im sure it was something minor, but i just gave up, and several others have had the same issues. guess you either have one that runs, or you dont. Wish Polaris could have done a bit better on the EFI.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Sorry you had a bad experience with her. I know right now I'm more miffed that the chassis on mine is falling apart. The EFI works perfectly. How's that for irony![;)]

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 95 RXL runs great,(touch wood) other than a few minor problems. It pulls like no other and keeps up to the best. I love it and would recommend it. No problems with the EFI. I would sooner have it start on the 3rd pull on those cold day's and wait for it to warm up, than have to crank and crank like the other guy's ;)

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by triple-x
[br](touch wood)
Thanks for the bad mental image.[B)]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts