Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had carbs re-jetted and HAC disabled last fall because of plug fouling. Still had the problem. Started it Sat, ran it for a couple minutes, and shut it off, wouldn't restart. Plugs fouled again. I want to replace needle and seats in carbs (shop didn't do this). Should I order viton or steel tip, and which flow rate (1.5, 1.8, or 2.0)?

·
Registered
553 Posts
This is a big problem on the skidoo carbs. This happened on my buddies 91 formula and we tore the cabs down and cleaned real well. The idle jet is the issue and also the main jet. After the cleaning it ran great. Before he fouled plugs all the time and robbed him of take off and top speed. Viton is better and not sure on the flow rate.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I know a guy that has that same sled and has that same problem, im not sure what he has done to fix it tho..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went through the carbs 6 or 7 times last year and finally gave up and took it to a shop. They replaced mains and idle jets, but not needle and seats (don't ask why). They said it was jetted way too rich before. $300 later, and same problem. I want to try needle and seats and hopefully that will do the trick. I'm a marine mechanic and have rebuilt dozens of carbs. I posted last year about this pig sled too. Just want to get it running so I can sell it and buy something reliable. I like the sled when it runs, which isn't too often.

·
Registered
53 Posts
go with 2.0 and the viton tips the more fuel you got going into bowls the better you'll appreciate not running out of steam half way up a vertical accent if you know what i mean

·
Registered
53 Posts
by the way barry i failed to mention i had the same problem with my 670 H.A.C. equipped summit the dealer wanted 385.00cdn for the part in the airbox i figured yeah right i'll be back in couple of years and it would probly be double the price so i did the smart thing spent 165.00cdn for pilot,needle,mains,and needles and jetted for a 670SS you could do the same just set up your carbs the same as a formulaZ583 p/s i always jet my mains 2 sizes up ie. if it calls for.300 mains i'd put .320s it's better & cheaper to foul plugs then foul an engine. REMEBER THERES NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Replaced needles and seats and no more fouled plugs. One short trip up north over Xmas and some lake riding Saturday, and sled is running great. Only problem I'm having is with cold starts. It will start right up, but will not keep running unless I keep hitting the primer one or two squirts every 10-15 seconds. Once warm (after about 2 minutes), it will run and idle fine. I've balanced the carbs, and they are right on. Once warm, it will start first pull and run perfectly. We need more snow here in WI!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Barry, TXC
Where can I buy the viton needle and seats? Any suggestions on what I should run on a 1996 Skidoo Skandic 500 fan? Will this help top end?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try Dennis Kirk (www.denniskirk.com), JR Grahm, or Shadetree. May have to call local ski-doo dealer for size, or try DK's tech support line. Needles and seats won't affect top end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts