Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wel i finally found another sled to add to the family its a 95 xcr 600 needs a seat cover has about 4 k miles it's very hard to start and keep it running wondering if anybody knew the ins and outs to the sled or had experienced this sort of problem with the same model?i got it for 600 bucks came with a helmet and coat i think i got a really good deal on it but like i said it's hard as hell to start and keep running if anybody could hep me out it would be appreciated.i dont have any recent pics yet i just have the 2 that were sent to me.

[attachment=56462]

[attachment=56463]

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
If it is hard to start, I would try the following (not necessarily in order):
1)Drain the old gas and put in fresh
2)Clean all three carbs out, or at least drop the float bowls to see what is in there. Sometimes you get lucky and they are clean.
3)Do a compression test. The mileage isn't real high, but if it sat a lot, it is possible the motor got a lot of dry starts and some internal corrosion.
4)Change spark plugs
5)check crank seals by spraying around them with ether or WD-40
6)Check for rodent nests in airbox and or exhaust. Even if the sled looks fine, you'd be amazed where they can get in. and live.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i will check all of those suggestions hopefully one is the problem.what kind of performance mods are available for this and what woud b the best bang for the buck

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
sounds like a good deal my friend that also lives in chittenango just got the same sled for 1000 with a bad seat and windsheild

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
your compression should be around 120, I have found that the needles stick, and flood the machine out while sitting. So good practice is to shut fuel off everytime. You will only forget once,lol. I have 3 triples and they all start extemely easy, the xlt less than a full pull, possible choke hang up, rebuild the carbs, or at least clean them, and see what brings next, dont forget the fuel filter, its a pain, but an idea, and everything else they said on previous. I love the xcr's and the xlt. The 95 is damn near bullet proof, although it does love fresh lumber,lol

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya i just got home from work didnt have much time to tinker with it today.but i got the day off friday and hopefully i can get some time to get into it then.ill keep you updated on the progress.what is the best performance mad for this sled???

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought a 96 XCR 600 with 1600 miles on it and its in mint cond. for $900 about a month ago and I am having some issues with it, when it runs good its a hell of a ride, I agree with everything these guys said, and dont take any shortcuts, be sure to check everything YOURSELF, as I took the guys word that he cleaned the carbs and was disgusted by what I found in the bowls, I already burned one piston up in it and am workin on the second one right now, so be sure not to half ass anything.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i plan on going through it 100 percent i think the 96 and 97 xcr had alot of problems from what i hear something about the pistons and cranks i was told to stay away from those models.good luck with yours

·
Registered
84 Posts
The mid 90's motors had crank issues, the had material issues and also they did not have the extra oil line on the PTO side of the crank, its a good idea to add it if your into the motor for something or over the summer. They are a decent motor but most I've seen tend to have the crank go anywhere form 8000 to 10000 miles. I have heard of a few lasting longer but personal the most I've ever seen on the original motor was 12K miles, I was told it was original but who knows.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
were those stock motors???i wanna get this thing moving im thinking some performance mods

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
shouldnt you get it running right first. no sense buying performance parts if youve got bigger problems. but once everything is squared out. triple pipes with the proper clutching. reccomend psi or slp pipes.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ofcourse getting it running good is the main objective im just asking what the best performance add on is for this machine.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
sorry the get it running comment was supposed to be a joke. but like i said, triple pipes with the proper jetting. can usually find a used set fairly cheap, and with the proper clutching, youre looking at 15+ hp

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sounds decent ill have to check around for some prices on a set of pipes.would the pipes of a 97 xcr that came stock with the tripple pipes fit?

·
Registered
172 Posts
check you nuts that hold the jugs down... my 96 xlt wouldnt run and it had rattled all the nuts off and yours could be starting

1 - 20 of 28 Posts