Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Christmas Guys.

Went for a little spin earlier and had a problem.

Got into some pretty deep powder, and my sled feel right on it's face. It's got no power at all. It won't rev over 5000 rpm. All of the plugs are Black (so im guessing their fouled?) I finally got it out of the ditch I was in and headed home, it won't go over 40mph. The carbs have been gone through recently, fuel filter is brand new, throttle cables are all new. The whole sled is practically freshened up. Whats causing this thing to act up all of a sudden?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
My 95 XLT did the same thing a couple yrs ago....chock was gummed up and stuck open

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Don't know but mine did the exact same thing....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you go about fixing it? I'm not at home at the moment to actually look at my sled. But I'm not understanding how the choke can be applied without lifting the lever.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I'd look at the carbs and oil pump.. You have too much of one or both if the plugs are black.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What steps should I take for looking over the carbs and the oil pump? Is it likely that the carbs would be messed up with less then 200 miles on them? This damn money pit just got out of the shop and was went through top to bottom. She was running like a raped ape up until this afternoon.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Not that something went wrong, but that they're set wrong..

Something is set too high for the plugs to be black, and needs to be adjusted down so the plugs are brown.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see. Where should I start tinkering or adjusting? I deal mainly with diesel engines, I'm not to savy with carbs and whatnot. If I could be pointed in the right direction I might be able to work this issue out. Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
That happened to me the other year, got into some deap, wet snow. Fouled the plugs right out. Replaced them and all was good again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also i would start it and let it idle spray some carb spray inbetween the block and the clutch and see if the rpms rise is so you got yourself a bad crankcase seal and this is a common problem with these sleds idk why but i will be changing mine tommorow I have about 700 miles on a complete overhaul and mine is bad already

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
hillbilly1 said:
Also i would start it and let it idle spray some carb spray inbetween the block and the clutch and see if the rpms rise is so you got yourself a bad crankcase seal and this is a common problem with these sleds idk why but i will be changing mine tommorow I have about 700 miles on a complete overhaul and mine is bad already
I learned this one the hard way - two burned pistons. There's a reason the seals are not lasting. Check your crank for trueness with a dial indicator. That's how I found my problem. Also check the outer pto bearing to make sure it's tight on the crank. If it's not, it'll take out the seal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts