Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 95 Summit583 and I am giving it a good once over before I head into the hills. I don't have the manual for it yet. Can anyone give me the quick and dirty on rear suspension setup? Drivebelt tension? Any ideas how to make damn sure the oil injection system is working properly?
I've checked all the sled forums and found minimal comments on this model, is that because they haven't lasted OR are they that good nobody has any problems?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey...first on the suspension, just look under there, and find out what you can adjust. Most suspesions haev spring blocks which you can rotate with a wrench for hard, medium, or soft. most likely you have a spring adjustment too. For your belt, I buy one that is pretty tight, just as long as it isnt so tight it moves when it is idling. For the oil injection....take out the spark plugs, pull of the oil lines that go to the engine, and give 'er some pulls, if its working, oil will start to come out the tubes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there, your 95 has coil spring and to adjust it, all you have to do is turn the cam on the shock. I'll try it first before changing anything though. As for the rear arm, there should be holes in the rail to adjust it. Move it back to get it softer, move it forward to get it harder. When you press on the belt midway between the 2 clutches, it should go down about an inch, an inch and a half. And about the info, those models were pretty good in their time, but now they're pretty heavy compared to what's on the market today. I've got an 583 too and those engines are bullet proof. Over 14000 clicks on the speedo and only a ring stuck once. Hope that helps a bit! Let me know how it works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Skidooman93X. Best info yet. I never thouhght about moving the rear arm in the rails. Thing is, I don't have any factory holes to move it to. Is it normal to drill new holes where they'll work?

Good news about the mill too. Mine's making a bit of a double-tap so I'm a liilte concerned about the wrist-pins and big-ends. Anyone experience the same thing?
I thinjk I'll re-ring and check the p[lay in the off-season....hopefully it'll hold out til then!

Money=motion!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Koot! I guess if they didn't put any other holes in the rails they didn't need them, but I'm sure you could drill some holes without any problems as long as they're parallel and equal on each side. As for the engine, humm, if it does that sound when it's cold it's probably because the cylinder is used enough that the piston rocks in the bore... the sound goes away when the piston heats up and expands. Let me know.

A low windshield is nice, but frostbite isn't

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had it out thid wekend and the engine 'noise' I'm hearing is always there at idle but deminishes at power, so I'm thinkin something's worn for sure. I just wondered if anyone has had anything let go on this engine model. Next summer, sorry had to say it, will be the first chance for me to have a look after ownig it for a season. I just hope it hangs on.

Money=motion!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts