Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently acquired a 96 Touring 500 that had blown a piston. I rebuilt the motor and now have excellent compression on both cylinders. The sled starts up wonderfully, idles good, with the track raised it runs smooth and accelerates normally. However, placed under load with the track on the ground, it revs to 4000 - 4500 and doesn't engage the clutch or move the track. If I get off the sled and stand beside it, I can get it to rev up and move great.

I think I need to tune the carbs or do some adjusting, any thoughts?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Belt: deflection no more than 1 1/4" , no more than .020" between belt and primary at rest.

Carbs: cleaned, synced, properly adjusted. Most are jetted very rich.

Track: Polaris spec is too tight. We normally run ours with 1" - 1 1/2" of sag without any weight on the track.

Warm ambient temps. will cause it to be rich and bog.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
[highlight=red]Track: Polaris spec is too tight. We normally run ours with 1" - 1 1/2" of sag without any weight on the track.[/highlight=red]

loose as you can run the track is what I do, if it rachets, then tighten from there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carbs were not adjusted properly, the unit required tuning and synchronization. Once that was complete, it idled, ran, and ran very well!

Thanks for the tips, looking forward to a great snow season!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts