Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm having problems with my ultra it's freshly rebuilt and it only overheats if I let it idle if I jump on and ride it will finally send heat out to all the heat exchangers there's three on this sled so if I stop after I've been rideing to wait for my buddies it's light kicks on just wondering if I should go strait to the water pump or could this possible be another issue

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you remove all air out of cooling system after rebuild ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn't I had no idea I thought that it would work all the air out and fill with fluid how will I get all the air out

·
Registered
21 Posts
start it up,, let it run while you tilt it on one side,, and i mean all the way almost till it rolls over, rev it up and down (without taking off though) for about 10 sec,, then let it down,, and do the same on the other side ,, that should take all air out,, check for changes in coolant level and add upp to max afterwards,, then you should be good to go.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Park the sled "nose up" on a steep snowbank... Open the cab, remove the fill cap from the reservoir, and run the sled, you should see the coolant bubbling.... That's the air escaping! Keep lightly burping the throttle till the bubbling stops, add more coolant as needed!.... You shouldn't need to play w/ any bleeder screws!

Much easier than balancing your sled on its side!

I do it this way EVERYTIME... Never had any issues w/ my '96 Ultra!

Not sure about the SKS, but my SP has 4 heat exchangers... Bulkhead, Tunnel, & 2 X Running Board.

Cheers! Gian.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I did a lot of hill climbing last weekend it wasn't strait up and Down but it was pretty sloped wouldn't that of worked them out it only overheats at idle or if I stop ridding could this possible be the water pump giving out on me ?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Ok so I did a lot of hill climbing last weekend it wasn't strait up and Down but it was pretty sloped wouldn't that of worked them out it only overheats at idle or if I stop ridding could this possible be the water pump giving out on me ?
no, you have to properly go through the bleeding procedure. the sled would be overheating constantly if the water pump was bad.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Start your sled up cold and let it idle,check if your heat exchangers start to warm up.It shouldn't take too long to feel the heat on them.If they don't warm up or they take forever to warm up you have an air lock .Jack the front end up until the skis are just touching the ground,take coolant cap off and start it up for awhile.You can even sit on it at the same time to lower the back end.That should get any air out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep sounds exactly like what's going on I would always start my sled and let it idle for five mins before I do anything well I let it idle and she got hot checked all three exchangers and none of them where even slightly hot jump on and ride like this and somehow they got hot if I stoped and idle again hot hot hot shut her down so yea I must have a bubble I appreciate all the knowledge guys it's nice to have questions answerd

·
Registered
292 Posts
No man, riding the sled uphill isn't doing ANYTHING!... When parking the sled on a snow bank, What you are trying to do is make the coolant reservoir the highest point on the sled. With the sled running U need to remove the cap to let the air out of the system! With the cap closed the air cannot escape, you also need to add coolant to the system, as you will be replacing air with coolant!... Save yourself the headache of playing w/ a bunch of bleeder screws & try it!

I Haven't touched 1 bleeder screw, and I've rebuilt my engine, replaced 2 water pumps & added an additional heat exchanger... Trust me, I've bled my coolant system this way each time & 0 issues!

It'll take 10 minutes... try it!

Cheers! Gian.

·
Registered
122 Posts
No man, riding the sled uphill isn't doing ANYTHING!... When parking the sled on a snow bank, What you are trying to do is make the coolant reservoir the highest point on the sled. With the sled running U need to remove the cap to let the air out of the system! With the cap closed the air cannot escape, you also need to add coolant to the system, as you will be replacing air with coolant!... Save yourself the headache of playing w/ a bunch of bleeder screws & try it!

I Haven't touched 1 bleeder screw, and I've rebuilt my engine, replaced 2 water pumps & added an additional heat exchanger... Trust me, I've bled my coolant system this way each time & 0 issues!

It'll take 10 minutes... try it!

Cheers! Gian.

Winner winner chicken dinner. This is all there is to it. Took me 15 minutes to do my 800 big block.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I just gave this a shot put the whole trailer up and let it sit for a bit with radiator cap off and still didn't send water out to the exchangers

·
Registered
61 Posts
your water pump is shot take it off i never had to go threw any of that and have done about 20 of them sleds back in the day and just did mine last yr

·
Registered
61 Posts
if anything take off cap while its running tip it up on its side and then the same to the other side thats it done removes any air or open the bleeders on rail and water pump works to

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea I had it running but belt was on wasn't able to rev it much so I'll work at it some more on Saturday we plan to go out and rip up the trails so im not giving up on it being a bubble in there some where

1 - 20 of 22 Posts