Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys I posted this before but I am still trying to find out what is wrong with the summit. This has been an ongoing battle all winter. The machine runs well, but the headlight is dim and the warmers don't really work. I know that there must be a short but I cannot for the life of me find it. I guess my first question is that since I replaced the regulator, could I have a bad one? How do I test it? One guy mentioned that with it idling, if I unplug it and everything gets brighter then that is what is wrong. Now I realize that revving the motor like this would most likely blow the bulbs, but idling will this work? Secondly, does ne one have any more ideas? I should mention that this sled has electric start and as such has a different regulator. Thanks in advance for any insight. [:D]

·
Registered
172 Posts
My guess would be the voltage regulator. I have a Tundra that the regulator went out on but instead of getting weak, it was throwing full power through the system and blew out every bulb in it.
I was told by a guy that does nothing but rebuild & sell sleds that usually when the regulator is bad it puts out low power, mine was one of the oddballs.
Maybe a dealer can tell you what the specs are for normal output and you can throw a meter on it.

G

·
0 Posts
Could the stator possibly have gone bad? What is the voltage across the battery?

·
Registered
412 Posts
yep, a meter should read between 12.5 and 15 volts. I had the same problem and I tested it, it was reading 8.5 volts. Swapped the regulator and now it runs mint.

pm me if you want the Clymer step-by-step on how to test it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts