Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 96 ultra with cpi pipes 133 track would run fine if it was in not so much snow. but If I got in like a foot of snow it did not want to hit the (powder band). it would just bog or sit at low idle until it got in some lesser snow. after it got through the (power band) it seemed fine. starting up a hill would do the same thing. also noticed that it wanted to jump a bit when it first engages. just opening the throttle a small bit to get it going. felt like lugs missing from the belt. anyone know what the clutching should be for it at 9000 ft? also what do you think might be wrong with it. spark plugs looked great.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
CPI pipes? Never heard of them. What lug track you running? Is the snow deflector on the bottom of the machine by the exhuast exit?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cpi modblasters. the lug is like a 1.5 in. but I have a 151x2 track that I want to put on it. but right now it doesn't want to turn the 133.
the exhaust deflector is still there.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by minnesotaderek
[br]do you mean psi modblasters?
ya sorry getting mixed up with my old pipes on my 700. ya PSI. lol

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
what tooth driveshaft you have? if it is a 9 tooth which will work with a 1.5" track, but if your pulling deep snow, it's gonna bea tight squeeze in the tunnel and will struggle to spin that track freely. If it is a 8-tooth, then this is not your problem.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is a 9 tooth, I do have 8 tooth drivers to put on with my 151x2.

but it will do it when going up a steep hill without much snow too. so thats not the problem. and if it does eventually hit the (power band) it will take off like a bullet. but getting there is whats the problem.

·
Registered
384 Posts
stock clutching for 9000-12000ft calls for 10MW bushed clutch weights, blue clutch spring, 36 degree #2 helix, and 21:35 gears.

·
Registered
985 Posts
whats your engagment point? the Modblasters make very little power down low. this is why almost everybody runs a 5000-5500 engagement. so that there making power when you go to start.

also sounds like too aggresive of a ramp on the weights, or not enough secondary pressure. where is your secondary set?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it engages right at 4000 rpms. think that could be it? seems more to it though? not sure what the clutches are set up to.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have psi modblasters on mine also, when i would come in at 4000-4200 rpm it was pretty week out of the hole, but would go like heck once it wound up a little. Now i have it engageing at about 5000 rpm and it is a rocket right out of the hole. Almost too much can't keep the skis on the ground. I would say raise the engagement up on it and try that.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I would raise engagement to 5000.

but it sounds like a secondary problem. assuming you have a new belt and adjusted it. and you physically dont see anthing major wrong in the primary.

what spring is in the secondary. red? you need to get to a polaris silver blue. that will give you enough pressure to have good backshift. and also allow for good boondocking. an aaen 42-34 progressive helix would work as well. but lets work wth what you have first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts