Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing a track on a 96 indy ultra sp. Have the susp. pulled, chaincase apart andspeedo removed. is there any way to slide the drivecogs????? I figure there is im just missing it. Any help would be really appreciated.

Women leave you,
Bosses fire you,
Friends forget you,
SLEDDIN IS FOREVER!!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
if i remember right, on the speedo side, there is a lock collar that has a set screw that needs to be loosened, then remove the collar, and also i think their is one on the chincase side, you have to do the same here, then slide the whole assembly whichever way that gives you the clearance to remove it, but i believe you have to remove the whole assembly, or atleast slide it to one side to permitt removal of the track. but im not sure if the cogs themselves can be removed, never tried, hey triumph,erick, or polaris man, some assistance please!!

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
All I know is that it doesn't take too long to get apart. Just take parts off until it is free to get out of there.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The last time I had a track off was on my 85 Indy 400 not sure how much has changed in those 11 years. But I had to take the hole assembly of the speedo side. I had to remove the bottom gear out of the chaincase and take out the three bolts that hold the speedo cover and the bearing plate. And then the drive axle was able to come out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TY genlemem
already ripped enogh off to get it out .
had too take off the whole chaincase. what a b***h. there might be an easier way but sold it and can wse the money THANKS again for the help.

Women leave you,
Bosses fire you,
Friends forget you,
SLEDDIN IS FOREVER!!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Backmtn you must have had 4 cogs on your jack shaft right?

I replaced a track on a 92 EXT last year but it only had two inside drive sprockets so it made it quite easy to slide the shaft toward the speedo side to remove. I guess it would be a lot tougher with 4 sprockets though. As far as I can tell, having had to change the drive sprockets to accomodate the new track, they must be moved with a hydraulic press. They are tighter than..... (you fill in the expletive)

-------------------------------------------
Shhhhhhh...... Someone's coming

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled

·
Registered
289 Posts
i believe on that sled there are e-clips on the drive shaft... or set screws such as someone said... if that doesnt work... BMFH (big mother fuckin hammer)

Duct tape much like the force... it has a light side, a dark side.... and it holds the world together!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts