Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy a 96 ultra rmk with a rack, cover, 2000 miles on it, and really clean for $2100. It looks like a garage queen! Do you think this is a good deal? How does it do in the powder and the mountains? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
134 Posts
i would offer the person proally like 1900...start from there...and if not u can always go up...sounds like a good deal

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. The sled should do fine in the deep snow. A good set of pipes will really wake up that motor. Riley

good day

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Well yeah it should do good in deep snow and pipes will totally make that motor rock if there is a good clutch job and jet job done on it.im not very found of the Rocky Mountian Kings myself (RMK) too me i only see them for use in the deep deep snow of the mountains for for use on ski hills or avalanch victim recovery thats just my own opinion tho

Bobby
My wife said its Her or the sleds........ I'm sure gonna miss her

Stop Inbreeding....... Ban country Music

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey,

Thanks for the information! I looked at another 96 ultra RMK that only has 1000 miles on her, which is in good condition too. But he wants 2700 for her and does not have the original parts. My gut is telling me that there something is not right about this sled, since the guy spent over 1500 on her but wants to sell her for only 1200 dollar profit? Hmmm, something is fishy in these murky waters!

I do live in the mountains so it sounds like a good sled to get started with and what brand of pipes would you recommend?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Personally I would try to find a 700 RMK or else settle for an XLT. I had a buddy who had a 96 Ultra. It got around good, but the motor was a little doggy for the size and he had problems with the pipe cracking and brakes failing. I think he got these fixed under warranty though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A stock '96 Ultra is a pig. A modified Ultra, properly piped, clutched and geared is scary fast. Getting from pig to cheetah is not easy, simple or cheap. Once you get it dialed in for serious arm yanking, the motor runs hot, but go up in altitude and you fight jetting quickly... then you gotta put the fat ones BACK IN on the way down, or you get to visit the piston doctor.

Unless you already know your stuff about clutching/gearing and jetting, I would recommend the RMK 700 or 800. Even before they started putting the altitude compensator in the 700, that was a very altitude forgiving and powerful motor. The new ones are just plain bad to the bone. I'm a Ski-Doo guy and will still respect those 7-800 Polaris machines.

Add up the total cost of the machine. A $3300 used machine that you don't have to work on may be much cheaper than a $2000 machine that requires $1,000 in tune parts and two years of dialing in... trust me, it takes a long time to dial a machine in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts