Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a tour today and the old girl just shut off. Got her home (by trailer)and followed the '96-'98 Polaris manual for diagnosing the problem. I have no spark what so ever. Checked the kill switch, the throttle safety switches, the EGT module (ETSS), all seemed to be with in spec and functioning properly.
Rang out the secondary side of the ignition coils (7.3) spec is 7.9. Rang out the exciter coil (386 and 15) spec 500 and 15.5. Rang out trigger coil (100) spec 100.
The manual does say to check resistances at room temp, my engine is cold to the touch (48 degrees f. by the little infrared temp gun)I'm hoping the exciter coil resistance changes by morning, so I'm leaning toward the CDI unit being bad. Any thoughts? If you have one for sale send me an email to [email protected] Thanks Ryan

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I checked the resistance of the exciter coil again this am, with the engine being a little warmer and it rang out at 400 ohms. The manual gives you a 10% range, so down has low as 450 ohms. My meter is not an expensive meter by no means. Anybody think it could be this coil and not the CDI?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
do you know anyone with the same sled? If so swap parts to figure it out. I have a cdi that I would sell if you need one.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks doger, I'm leaving work a little early today to pick up a used one. I'm a little concerned about that coil resistance. I'm not too sure on how it works but if the resistance is low, will the current be higher and burn up another CDI? The CDI sure is easier to change though!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I try the second CDI on the sled and still no spark. The stator is now out of the sled and I still have one coil (the 500 ohm exciter coil) that reads slightly oout of spec. At 48 degrees F it had 376 ohms, at 58F it had 402 ohms, at room temp (74F, as stated in the manual) it has 412 ohms, after I heated

·
Registered
378 Posts
One thing that you might have looked past is the wiring to the coils. Look at all ground connections and wires. Go back to the basics. Most of the time it is some thing really easy. Look at the wiring in the motor and see if there is any bad wires.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put in a second stator (with the original CDI), that rings out within specs, and still no spark. I took off each ignition coli cleaned the mounting points...still no spark. I went all over the sled checking grounds, following the service manual again...no spark. I rechecked the ignition coil resistances and the plug cap resistances, still no spark on any cylinder.
If I set my meter to Volts AC and put it to ground and any plug wire (with the cap on) I get a small voltage there when I pull it over. Does this mean that the CDI is working? What am I over looking?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts